Honeycomb bed holdown pins

I started out with draft board…“mistake”. I switched over to maple plywood scraps and I have been a happy camper so far.

4 Likes

Awesome thank you!

yea, draft-board does not work, as it shreds from the pressure of insert / removing.
Acrylic doesn’t work either - it snaps in half leaving you with a fun time fishing it out of your honeycomb. I’ll give it another go today with some other plywood scraps.

Size from others comments:
draftboard (.120)
Baltic Birch 1/8 (.122)
Plywood (.188)
Harwood scraps (.20)
Plywood 3mm (.11) fit 90 degrees instead of 45 (Phils design)

Size should be 1.007 inch tall
Not every honeycomb bed is the same - its best to cut one to test before cutting a batch

3 Likes

Huh. Mine have all been made from draftboard or acrylic, and have worked fine. They eventually wear out, but not until they’ve worked for a good long while!

2 Likes

Yeah so far the draftboard ones I made have been the best! I had trouble with the ply ones I made and I was figuring it was because they didn’t have as much “give.” (But now I’m curious and might try them again.)

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you very much. Just used this today!

Hi! Need to make some pins but have failed miserably lol. Can you provide the exact measurements for the sizes? I have a G-pro and have some scrap medium draftboard and even some ply I get at Lowes (it’s 1/8 cm thick). I’ve tried playing with sizes and settings but if I go too small they burn and crumble. Help!

If you load the file as posted directly into your dashboard, they will print at the correct size.

1/8cm will be way too thin for these to be effective, however. They will likely break as soon as you try to insert them. Stick to the draftboard, if that’s the only proofgrade you have.

1 Like

First thing I cut was these honeycomb pins with the PF medium draftboard. But it’s very hard to fit in without scrapping the sides. I’m willing to try this design but does the thickness of the board matter? Thanks!

They’re designed to be cut out of 1/8" or :proofgrade: “medium” or 3mm material (which are all about the same thickness)
I find they do scrape a touch but only enough to get a good grip, not enough to damage them. If you made them out of 1/4" or :proofgrade: “thick” I imagine they wouldn’t fit at all!

3 Likes

Also, the honeycomb holes are not all identical. Sometimes you need to rotate the pin, or move to another hole, to get a nice fit.

5 Likes

Make sure to unmask the pins too! I found with mine that just that tiny bit of masking was the difference between getting the pins to fit and not.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the holddown pins file. I’m learning so much thanks to you and the friendliest folks on the net. Really feel like family!

10 Likes

I downloaded this zip file for pins and there is nothing there.

You right click and save as an svg. The only issue I have heard of is when using Microsoft Edge.

I double checked the zip file and it’s working. The design is in the very top left corner, possibly you missed it?

1 Like

I just now heard of these … The laser won’t bump into them I assume?

1 Like

Shouldn’t. I have never had an issue with them getting hit by the printer head.,

1 Like

They work great for medium thickness materials. (I had extended the shanks to work better with 1/4" materials, and those can get whacked by the air assist unless you also flatten the top curve.)

1 Like