Honeycomb bed holdown pins

loves these! Thanks so much for making these and giving them out

3 Likes

Here are some with longer arms, useful for reaching over the edge of some odd workpieces.
pins-long

21 Likes

Super, thank you!!

2 Likes

Ooh - and these will help when the right sized hole is not right next to the material too!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing

ok. thats nice. I just use a box. too much effort (for me) to slot them into the stand. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Wicked kewl ideas, thank you

1 Like

Thank you for this. I just used them on a paper cutting project and it held everything in place perfectly. I am so excited to use them on some of my proof grade pieces that are slightly warped enough to not cut perfectly on past projects. Youā€™ve just given new life to material that I thought would have to be treated as scrap.

4 Likes

I would try to adjust your thinking ā€“ I find hold-downs are usually necessary, not for special cases, even with Proofgrade. 99% of the materials I use require these pins, magnets, or some of each.

8 Likes

thank you so much. Just what I needed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

hello there, may I ask where you find that tag material? I have searched endlessly without success. TIA

If I remember correctly I found it on Etsy, itā€™s called ultrasuade, itā€™s a buttery soft vegan suede.

THANK YOU !!!
Iā€™ll give them a go & hope for the best ā€¦ wink wink

1 Like

Hi
I just printed these and they are awesome. I used MEdium Basswood. they cut beautifully. But when I put one into the honeycomb tray it snapped off. Did I use the wrong thickness? They were very sung and didnā€™t push down all the way to hold the material. I am very new and could use some guidance. Thanks, Holly

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

Sometimes they break. I make mine out of draftboard scraps as well as acrylic scraps. Print lots, because they do break.

6 Likes

Also frequently the grids are not perfectly square, so I find myself rotating/moving them to find the spot where theyā€™re snug but not scary snug :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Basswood isnā€™t very strong. I would use 1/8" plywood, that works well for me.

6 Likes

I do this also. My husband printed a couple with the 3D printer and they are much more sturdy but donā€™t fit into all of the slots. (I donā€™t feel like slots is the right word, but you know what I mean lol) Mostly I use draftboard. I canā€™t remember if Iā€™ve tried acrylic, maybe Iā€™ll try a few.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve done some out of acrylic, and find they have more of a tendency to break than even draftboard, especially if I need to twist it in the hole to adjust it for a tighter fit or so that it wonā€™t get hit by the laser if I have something that goes right to the edge of my board. I usually use draftboard or baltic birch. Maybe Iā€™ll try to make some out of 1/4" and see if thatā€™s better.

2 Likes

Thank you, These cut perfectly.

3 Likes