Honeycomb Disdyakis Tricontahedron

Behold! This is my latest Polyhedral, a Honeycomb Disdyakis Tricontahedron. Each of the vertices has an LED bulb. Not sure how this design came to fruition, but the LEDs were sort of a proof of concept. 120 sides, 360 screws And 62 bulbs.

64 Likes

Excellent work, the lights are a great touch.

Are those the bulbs or did you have domes separate from the leds?

I bought a string of globe string lights from Amazon, so there’s a little dome on top of each LED. I designed the connector so that these would fit snuggly with the LED socket.

6 Likes

Pic? Or secret sauce?

Pretty much exactly the same way that I’ve done all my other connectors, but with a hole in the middle. So not much of a secret just testing to see if it would work. My skills and fusion 360 have gotten a lot better and I’m doing a lot less iterations and prototyping, and getting the pieces.This specific shape used three different connectors and was a little tricky though.

25 Likes

I want to know about the different colors! Is the under-layer pieced to get the different cell colors, or painted? Or something else?

2 Likes

That’s too daunting for me lol. Amazing work

3 Likes

The bottom layer of proof crate Maple is engraved under each of those cells to give it that look

5 Likes

Wow - that’s really amazing! I’m glad you took in process pictures - it’s neat to see how it all goes together.

3 Likes

:honeybee: Freaking Amazing! :honeybee: All the bees in the area will be moving out now knowing they can never compete :honeybee:

I have been loving the designs from the first one but wondering what someone would to with one. As a Chandelier, it would be amazing.:heart_eyes:

1 Like

It’s breathtaking!

1 Like

Thank you for this, the latest in a series of impressive results. The process photos are very useful, letting me know that I should never attempt this, just admire and applaud those that do.

1 Like

Always love your work. Thanks so much for showing the inside build. Something to strive for.

1 Like

Pretty sure forum rules, require the title of a thread to be pronounceable…

9 Likes

Diss - Die - Yeah - Kiss Try - Con - Tah - Heed - Ron. Or something…

6 Likes

I’m always blown away by tricontahedrons you make. If only I had some time to sit down and play with Fusion, or had a 3D printer.

This may be by far my favorite one. The lights, the detail, and the look.

4 Likes

So cool! The lighting is a great addition.

3 Likes

Too cool with the domed lights string arrangement!

2 Likes

Magnificent!!!

2 Likes

Now all you need is some bees. :blush:

2 Likes