Honeycomb tray

I have that book and masquerade both :slight_smile:

1 Like

but of course you do! I spent so many hours poring over those puzzles as a kid.

Likewise :slight_smile: the story of how the rabbit was found always made me mad. Cheaters man.

1 Like

Seriously, to go through all that to hide it, and think of the the team solved it, but then someone else cheatedā€¦

1 Like

I never get tired of seeing your trays. The bee looks fantastic. Thank you for sharing again. :grin:

1 Like

Exquisite!

Thank you, as usual, for all of the notes on your process.

1 Like

Sweet!

1 Like

@evansd2 I need to learn from you on how to cut/do inlay work. I still havenā€™t figured out how to adjust for kerf. I know what it is but canā€™t get a tight-fitting box to save my life. This is BEAUTIFUL work!

2 Likes

It was a fun unexpected surprise. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think this may be the best thing youā€™ve done yet. Beautiful!

2 Likes

So that is the secret? You own a clam pit? < /snark > Totally stunning as usual! :heart_eyes: Still wondering what folk could put in the trays that would not be overshadowed by the beauty of the trays themselves.

2 Likes

Nice work. A piece of comb honey in the center of the tray would make for a good photo of your work and highlight the bee theme.

2 Likes

Gorgeous! The title of this post is terribly mundane and misleading. :wink:

7 Likes

Hereā€™s one of the end pieces:

Figured Walnut

Unsanded and unfinished, so itā€™s not as rich-looking as the final product, but this should give you the idea.

19 Likes

Iā€™ve said it before, Iā€™ll say it againā€¦ Youā€™re a master.

7 Likes

I can only imagine the satisfaction of joining those pieces. Not the inlaying of each individual honeycomb, though, or the beeā€™s stripes, but these larger pieces must have been some real pleasers

3 Likes

Gorgeous work, so inspiring!

1 Like

So, itā€™s all pretty satisfying really. Itā€™s hard to place a stack rank on these things, but like the larger pieces: they are unstable without the hexagons. This is all hardwood, so those hex borders by themselves are pretty delicate ā€“ especially where it crosses the grain. Itā€™s all one big interlocked mesh, and so you canā€™t really have the grid without the hexes.

That being saidā€¦ The main body of the bee with wings and legs was pretty dang satisfying. Itā€™s a really unexpected shape, and it just slotted right in. Some part of me was like ā€œis this going to actually fit?ā€ and of course it did. Good times.

12 Likes

even when i do the simple stuff (which all of mine is compared to this), i always fear when i cut that something just wonā€™t fit and iā€™ll bust it trying to make it fit. which has happened.

i made a simple 2-piece box (sliding lid) out of BB last night. and i didnā€™t quite account for enough space for the lid to slide down. first time iā€™d tried that boxes.py setting and i figured that the default thickness was set at 3.0, and my wood was 2.95, so the default for the lid offset should probably be fine (0.05). nope. and i did 0.125 on the second try and it was still pretty snug. i would have been pretty frustrated it if had been something nice instead of BB.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s flattering but no, Iā€™m keeping this one. Iā€™ve given you all enough info so that you can design your very own, Iā€™ve laid out my entire process and illustrated it over the course of several posts. Just search for ā€œ@evansd2 tray in:first #glowforge-project-examplesā€, youā€™ll find them no problem.

Iā€™d say youā€™ll get even more satisfaction out of a design of your own choosing anyway! :slight_smile:

10 Likes