How blurry is "normal"?

The height of the wood is correct.
The wood is neither warped nor tilted.
It’s in the center of the bed.
The bed is not tilted.
I’ve cleaned the camera lens.
I’ve restarted the Glowforge and program.
I’m not using proofgrade, and won’t be.
We don’t have the proofgrade draftboard to play with (flood this past month).
It’s also not aligning right but it seems that may improve a small amount if this isn’t as blurry.

If this is “normal”, are there plans to improve this? Am I missing something? Is there a way to calibrate this? There doesn’t seem to be a real solution that I can find - so is this just the way it is?

It can be fairly blurry around the edges, but should be better towards the center. It’s a small central camera being dramatically de-warped, so the extremes are affected the most.

The image is not meant for precise placement beyond a 1/4" tolerance. Beyond that, use a jig for precision.

Make sure your camera lens is firmly seated… I’ve seen reports of some units where the lens, which should be fixed, seems adjustable. Be gentle! You don’t want to create a problem.

2 Likes

One thing I have started to do recently is put a couple of super bright LED “work lights” in the most critical areas on top of the glass pointing down. It is amazing how much better the view is when you do this. Dark (usually scorched ) wood against a black background is problematic to start with and seeing the also dark bed pins so you are not cutting over them makes it worse, hence using the extra light in desperation.

3 Likes

Have you selected “unknown material” and given it the thickness as measured with calipers?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.