How can I be so thick, Part 2 (Pro-Tube?)

There is what is known as a Jato bottle (jet assist take off) that can be mounted to get the thrust needed for a particular situation.
Like a SRB, once started, can’t be stopped. A guy mounted on in his Camero and made Darwin’s list for his effort.

5 Likes

Yea! @morganstanfield! We have been wondering about you! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I think that is as cool and likely an explanation as any :grinning::clap:

3 Likes

They’d been doing the jato thing with smaller aircraft for a while, so I’m betting someone was just itching for an excuse, er Really Important Reason, to do it with a larger one. It’s the short landings (without arrest) that amaze me.

3 Likes

I remember training films in the Navy where the brakes dumped enough heat on the wheels to ignite the magnesium… then you get a floor show!

5 Likes

Gotta love magnesium. (Years ago, when my boss was on a WW2 kick, I got to do a bunch of reading on the, uh, evolving design for B-29 engines.)

1 Like

I’m not familiar with that design… a mag block?

Yep. Originally all magnesium with a zillion integral cooling fins machined into the outside of each cylinder. (After a few iterations iirc they settled on shallower slots machined into the magnesium and cooling fins of some less exacting metal force-fitted into the slots.) They had to fly very carefully calculated rpm profiles, because the cooling capacity of the engines went up with airspeed but went down with ambient temperature and also down with altitude.

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks.

Thanks so much! I’ve so missed this community! Here’s what’s up with me: Glowparents: Glowbabies!

9 Likes

To me, the benefits of the Pro are still worth it, even if this cut is on a Basic. I’d expect a better and cleaner cut on the Pro, not to mention the better duty time on it, the filter being included, and the pass-through slot. Some of my project plans include using that slot to advantage.

1 Like

Welcome back Morgan! We all missed you too.
Well done lady! Beautiful budding family!

5 Likes

As it turns out rpegg’s pre-release unit has a Pro laser tube in a Basic body. It appears they wanted to test some stuff before pre-releasing a full-on Pro.

That does make a difference. Either way, following a countdown to the expected shipping of units. I am waiting eagerly.

Thanks so much! I’ve missed all the great folks here, and I’m very much looking forward to having two hands free at the same time more often, so I can join the conversations again. :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

Just enjoy it. These days will pass before you know it. My little boys are about to be 18 and 15. It sounds strange, but you will miss the chaos :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Has anyone tried a brass “scratch brush” on the edge char? I picked a couple up at the winter wood working show here in Columbus, Oh

https://www.grainger.com/category/wire-scratch-brushes/brushes/cleaning-supplies/cleaning-and-janitorial/ecatalog/N-12hb

2 Likes

@rpegg - this might be better directed to you since you have the GF

1 Like

Just tried it on the maple. It made zero difference (I didn’t want to scour to the point of scratching the piece), nor did it remove the blowback on the back that snuck under the edge.

6 Likes

Thank you for trying and reporting back :slight_smile:

@wanderingwood - there you go. Answered by @henryhbk