How can I be so thick, Part 2 (Pro-Tube?)

Same here in CT. The governor is trying to reduce state spending on education for 131 towns so 13 will get more. No one seems to care that we’ve dumped billions into making those schools better - they need more, always.

It’s not the schools & teachers that’s the problem - it’s the environment the kids are living in.

3 Likes

Here it’s both. It started as a good idea, pay more to entice better teachers to the city problem areas. Teachers and admin give up and start funding all expense paid trips to Atlantic City. Gov Christie tried to call it out and end it and a bill was going through until the State Supreme Court said, “No. You have to keep sending money there.” Everyone else throws up hands and gives up. Life continues.

3 Likes

Vermont is rural, so there are a lot of tiny local schools. The legislature is trying to “encourage” mergers, but it’s tough going. And meanwhile they have this enormous high-bandwidth educational network but hardly ever use it…

Anytime I hear about cuts in funding education it makes me cringe. That is the best investment we can make in the future. We have enough ‘Flat earthers’ already.
In cutting education, I recall an Admiral saying ‘When we need to lighten an aircraft, we don’t remove the engines.’

8 Likes

But when they can’t keep the plane in the air you don’t keep pouring more & more expensive parts in them and hope they’ll be able to handle more weight in the cargo hold - you look to see if there’s a better engine available or a different plane that should be used.

2 Likes

Didnt they throw rockets onto a C-130 to make it so it could take off/land on super short runways? Not trying to be argumentative I think you both have good points

3 Likes

Yeah, new engines.

They didn’t try spending billions trying to soup up the existing ones :slightly_smiling_face: Q.E.D.

2 Likes

Also fair. I like it from an engineering stand point. I picture a room where everyone’s tossing out ideas of how to land such a behemoth of a bird on such a little space and someone exasperated just says “well let’s just STRAP SOME ROCKETS ON IT” and everyone gets really quiet. “Actually no that could work”

4 Likes

There is what is known as a Jato bottle (jet assist take off) that can be mounted to get the thrust needed for a particular situation.
Like a SRB, once started, can’t be stopped. A guy mounted on in his Camero and made Darwin’s list for his effort.

5 Likes

Yea! @morganstanfield! We have been wondering about you! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I think that is as cool and likely an explanation as any :grinning::clap:

3 Likes

They’d been doing the jato thing with smaller aircraft for a while, so I’m betting someone was just itching for an excuse, er Really Important Reason, to do it with a larger one. It’s the short landings (without arrest) that amaze me.

3 Likes

I remember training films in the Navy where the brakes dumped enough heat on the wheels to ignite the magnesium… then you get a floor show!

5 Likes

Gotta love magnesium. (Years ago, when my boss was on a WW2 kick, I got to do a bunch of reading on the, uh, evolving design for B-29 engines.)

1 Like

I’m not familiar with that design… a mag block?

Yep. Originally all magnesium with a zillion integral cooling fins machined into the outside of each cylinder. (After a few iterations iirc they settled on shallower slots machined into the magnesium and cooling fins of some less exacting metal force-fitted into the slots.) They had to fly very carefully calculated rpm profiles, because the cooling capacity of the engines went up with airspeed but went down with ambient temperature and also down with altitude.

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks.

Thanks so much! I’ve so missed this community! Here’s what’s up with me: Glowparents: Glowbabies!

9 Likes

To me, the benefits of the Pro are still worth it, even if this cut is on a Basic. I’d expect a better and cleaner cut on the Pro, not to mention the better duty time on it, the filter being included, and the pass-through slot. Some of my project plans include using that slot to advantage.

1 Like

Welcome back Morgan! We all missed you too.
Well done lady! Beautiful budding family!

5 Likes