How close to vent hose do you need to be to smell the glowforge output?

I was looking at purchasing a condo, and now that we have some Production units out in the wild, I think this may be a good time to ask:

How much of an odor does the Glowforge make? How close would you have to be to the vent output to be able to smell it (regardless of how good/bad the material smells)?

I have been looking for only units on the highest floor, as I have been informed that the smell/particles tend to float upwards. Is this generally true?

2 Likes

There’s been a bit of talk about odor control. Not sure if this has the info you need, but this is a recent thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that is Glowforge dedication.

6 Likes

It’s really dependent on the outdoor conditions. In my case, if there’s no wind at all (rare in Colorado) you can smell it 20-30 ft away. However, if there’s a light or medium wind, the odor is only noticeable downwind. If the wind is really strong, it can (and has) backed the odors into my workshop after the fan stops. :confounded:

My impression has been that particulates drop rather than float upwards, btw. YMMV.

1 Like

Anyone have any info about the filters yet? Are they supposed to negate the odor completely?

Don’t know yet. :upside_down:

Poo. Pretty impossible to plan a location - or even measure the actual value of the filter still then. :unamused:

1 Like