How do I cut something out with my glowforge

Hello all. I have a very simple design that I am trying to figure out how to cut with my Glowforge. It is basically just a circle (for right now. It will probably get more complicated with future projects). I took a JPG design that I want to cut out and imported it into Illustrator and saved it as anSVG file. I loaded that SVG into the Glowforge software and it does not allow me to cut it. It says that I cannot cut a BMP. What am I doing wrong. Also, my experience with Illustrator is VERY limited so any ā€œdetailedā€ instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

My suggestion to you is to read some of the tutorials and especially give this a look. https://glowforge.com/support/topic/first-three-prints/welcome-to-the-glowforge-app-and-your-first-prints

2 Likes

This is also a good ā€œfirst stepsā€ guide:

Stick with it, youā€™ll be cutting stuff in no time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay, the links above are valad, start there but let me just explane very quickly.

Iā€™d give you a step by step but I donā€™t use AI but you are right, the :glowforge: will not cut rasters. An SVG can be either a raster or a vector or both because this file type is basically just a drawer to keep things in.
here it is, @Jules has covered it so many times it is in pdf format!

2 Likes

They are teaching you how to fish. I am ok with giving you a fishing rod, as long as you learn how to use it.
PrimitiveShapes
Right click on this image and save the file in a location you can get to.

User the Add Artwork button and Upload this file in the workspace where you have added the JPEG.

Delete the shapes you donā€™t need or ignore them. You can resize them too. You can rotate them with the top handle. You can constrain the rotation to 45 degree increments by holding down shift.

I know, Iā€™m an enabler. But thatā€™s ok.

Promise me you will read ā€œthe first three printsā€.

What vector program are you using?

8 Likes

Inkscape is a decent program thatā€™s FREE to download & reasonably easy to learn to use for making shapes that are true cutting lines that can be saved as SVG.

1 Like

(Maybe enabling, but all the sameā€¦very kind of you) :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the help. I am currently using Illustrator but just learning it. I have a very large learning curve.

1 Like

I donā€™t blame you! It took me a long time to learn it too. Click and hold this button:
then click the ellipse tool, or just press the ā€˜Lā€™ key for a shortcut.
Choose no stroke, and any color fill: (stricken)
Choose no fill, and any color stroke:
and draw the circle around your work. It will be imported as a cut line. Good luck!

4 Likes

Graphic is right, words are reversed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Struck!

2 Likes

marmak, it worked great. Thank you so much for your help. The coins came out perfect.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.