How do I engrave a complete shape (no pattern) I just want to remove an area

Wowā€¦ what a responseā€¦ didnā€™t expect such feedback so quicklyā€¦ amazing

Guys/girlsā€¦ I just wanted to say a quick thank youā€¦

@wbgraphic Vary Power is also not available when you upload a solid image i.e. no patternā€¦ but I will try a regular engrave the next time rather than a 3d thank :+1:

@evansd2 I will try uploading a non vector fileā€¦ Iā€™ve only been uploading .svg files so far and have to say I have had the option to 3D engrave on proofgrade medium draftboard as supplied with the glowforgeā€¦ but I totally get there is a difference so will try it with a .png thank you both :+1: also thank you for the idea of doing a scoreā€¦ I had no idea what that was for :+1:

@rpegg thank you for the heads up :+1:

thank you @rbtdanforth sounds like some advanced tips right thereā€¦ much appreciated :+1:

thank you all I will let you know how I go

Duncan

2 Likes

Guysā€¦ I uploaded a .png file and did 2 testsā€¦ a 3D engrave and a Vary Powerā€¦ both were perfect and basically identicalā€¦ thank you all very much

My only question now is controlling the depth? (which can only be done in pixel images like .png :wink:)

Do I change the focus height?

Itā€™s cutting a little deep and is currently set at 3.17mmā€¦ do I increase this to 4mm? (the draftboard is only 3mm)

1 Like

Depth will be determined by the combination of speed and power that you choose. I generally start by slowing it down a little, to go deeper.

2 Likes

Nope - you slow it down a little bit or increase the LPI.
(Waitā€¦I need to let @geek2nurse answer here, sheā€™s bored.) :smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m drugged, so my answers should probably be taken with a grain of salt for the next few days. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Iā€™ll take a spoonful for nowā€¦ my heads throbbingā€¦ so much to learnā€¦ need more wood

3 Likes

Except@duncan wants it shallower so it needs to be speed it up or drop the power :slightly_smiling_face:

Your medications are showing girl :wink:

4 Likes

Whatā€™s my excuse?..I thought he wanted to go deeper too! :smile:

(Sorry @duncan - to not cut as deeply you speed it up some or reduce the LPI.)

1 Like

Curly hair moment?

Reducing power may be better to avoid the striations that can occur a low LPI levels. I usually fuss with power first (I try to run everything as fast as possible) and then speed and only then LPI - but thatā€™s because I rarely do more than 270 LPI so reductions there quickly run into the striation issue.

But if itā€™s starting at 340 or something I totally agree (& it will go faster too!).

2 Likes

I have curly hair AND dopey meds. Iā€™m doomed.

4 Likes

I find it best to load the PNG image into Inkscape, which can the make outlines that are vectors that match the image.

The output is an SVG but it will contain the pixel data in the image as well as the vectors around it. When it is loaded into the GFUI you will have a layer for the pixel image and a layer with the vector data.

When you use ā€œvary powerā€ the black will get your highest amount and everything else will get less by how much lighter it is, and white will get the lowest amount you say ( default is zero)

If you have a vector file set to engrave it will go with the power speed and lpi you set so is like vary power if it was all black.

Thank yo all for your adviceā€¦ I did want to go deeperā€¦ also wanted to know just how to control it allā€¦ Iā€™ve not got on to experimenting with LPI (Lines Per Inch?) but have got the final job done thank you all to your help.

It was mainly for the iPhone Amplifier in this pic in order to create a recess for the leather top to sit into. Also used it to create the polka dot pattern on the Bitcoin Boom sign behind.

Thank you @rbtdanforth @jamesdhatch @Jules @geek2nurse @rpegg @evansd2 and @wbgraphic

These are my first creations:

9 Likes

You did an amazing job on all of these. Great collaboration!

Oh yeah, very cool mosaic you got going in the back there. :grinning:

Nice stuff! I love the ā€œboom.ā€ :slight_smile:

Thank you yes good team work :grinning::+1:

The mosaic is my girlfriend, sheā€™s a mosiac artistā€¦ so weā€™ll be doing some collaborations together as well

The Boom is a Bitcoin boomā€¦ now painted

:+1:

6 Likes

I donā€™t even know what a bitcoin boom is, but I want one!

(It looks like a Batman & Robin boom to me, but Iā€™m dating myself, I guess!)

2 Likes

I very much want to see what she will do with all your little leftover bits. I think I may need to become a mosaic artist, since I canā€™t stand throwing them away!

There will always be more bits :wink:

1 Like