Viking funeral

This is sort of made on a Glowforge? Does anyone else have small Viking funerals with their scraps? Just me?

Anyhoo, I made a bonfire.

Scraps burn really well, as you can see. Easy match light.

36 Likes

There are two kinds of people; those who see scraps as kindling and me who would cram those little empty spaces with something to cut :rofl:

Thereā€™s some there and there and there andā€¦

asd

21 Likes

I too see material going up if flames instead of becoming works of art.

3 Likes

Yeah given thatā€™s itā€™s balticbirch those scraps represent about a dime apiece. Economically it makes no sense for me to cut the usable parts down and store them unless itā€™s fairly large and easy. I have more scraps than I can use already.

Now my hardwoods, those scraps I hoard.

8 Likes

NOOO! I see lots of good pieces for testing or making smaller objects. My ā€œbring out your deadā€ scraps are typically no thicker than 1/4".

8 Likes

I hear ya, but I got way more materials than time lately :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Noooooooooo! I can make a dozen things out of those scraps! :wink:

5 Likes

But, butā€¦ Fire !!
Poor manā€™s shiny.

Kick in the way back machine again (just not so far back this time) and it can be said it was not Evans fault.

4 Likes

Is it hypocritical for me to ā€˜likeā€™ the comments from both @Jules and @brokendrum?

3 Likes

Naw! I liked it too! :smile:

1 Like

What Viking funeral??? For sure they will beat the Saints Sunday, and then Atlanta to be the first Super Bowl team in history to play in their home stadium for the Super Bowl! Iā€™m getting ready for some super bowl parties here in MN, Glowforge will be working overtime. Here is a wooden spoon, LII=references the 2018 edition of the super bowl (#52).

Power level 30 and max speed produced darkening without significant depth cutting, probably good for being able to clean up after food contact. Skol Vikings!

5 Likes

So many potential wine glass name trinkets going up in flames!

1 Like

Oh, the humanityā€¦ and the carbon footprint :wink: :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still canā€™t get myself to burn my scrap pile. Itā€™s terrible.

1 Like

I just hear the sad horns wailing in the darkā€¦

1 Like

So many usable pieces! Ouch

1 Like

Iā€™m having trouble engraving the bowl of a wood spoon just like the one you used. My set focus and auto focus keep moving my design around. Any suggestions?

The spoon obviously wasnā€™t my project, but here is my advice for engraving weird objects.
Put down a piece of paper and tape it to your crumb tray. Go back to your design and put an X over where are you want to engrave.

Upload your art, set the X to score and the focus to be very thin for the paper. Run that job.

You should then have an ex scored on the paper exactly where you need to put your spoon.

Go back to the interface and turn off the X score, and then turn on your main engrave.

Go back to your glow Forge, put your spoon over the X, set your focus and start your job. Donā€™t trust the camera at that point.

The engrave will be exactly where your ex was, so the camera doesnā€™t really matter.

Apologies for any weird typing, I am doing this via voice. This method should work really well for irregular objects like a spoon.

2 Likes

Thank you! Great input.

What are your settings for scoring paper?