How does the catalog handle a failed print?

This is my assumption. I think the real problem is if you need to resize or move the tabs to accommodate a different thickness of material than originally intended. If you need to change/customize any design work, it should be as easy as turning that “Layer” off and adding your own layer of design on top.

1 Like

If it is a jpeg image, yes, you can import your own artwork and add it to the design for engraving.

But aside from re-sizing or leaving off scores, you can’t add additional cuts to it, or change the size of tabs or slots.

(I don’t know if you guys pay much attention when you shop, but you know how you have drop down choices? This size for $4.99, buy two for $7.50? )

They will no doubt load a design created for working with a particular proofgrade material, and you can choose whether you want to cut it out of 1/8" ply or 1/4" ply or 1/8" acrylic…whatever …then when the file gets loaded to the interface for you, it already has the correct slot size worked into the design.

That’s the way I’d do it, if I had to.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for that valuable info!

Any chance that there might be an option to “upgrade” from single print to unlimited at a reduced cost?

3 Likes

This is just me thinking out loud, but the only way one off would really work is with Proofgrade. If it has to work right the first time then there can’t really be any unknown variables. The only way to do that would be to restrict one-offs to proofgrade (where all the settings are already known).

1 Like

I’m honestly more interested in how they plan to deal with trademark infringement and general theft of designs in the catalog. The problem i’ve seen with these kinds of catalogs is that you’re dealing with crafty people, who can usually recreate a design once it’s uploaded. Suddenly you’ve got 30 ipad gear cases that all look the same. Not to mention all the super illegal star wars stuff that is sure to appear. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

There is also the problem that independent designs can end up very similar, especially on functional items. How do you tell the difference.

You get your designs up first. :slight_smile:

(Only partially kidding.)

3 Likes

Great idea!

5 Likes

How about three classes of designs: 1) free with no restrictions on use or prints, 2) personal use only with limited prints and low cost, and 3) commercial use permitted with unlimited prints and higher cost. Designers have the option of only offering their design for the #3 category when they believe their design deserves the high price. The limited print requirement could be variable based on print success or assembly difficulty.

5 Likes

It depends, there’s usually a pretty clear trend between a design that is selling well and the knock offs, vs multiple people having similar designs. And I mean you’re really just getting into the reason for copyright to begin with, and that will all be dependent on the type of catalog GF runs.

I would imagine the GF community is going to be small enough that designs won’t overlap much by accident.

3 Likes

My two cents on the catalog: I’ve had the impression that Glowforge catalog designs will be expected to work right away. That’s the most likely way I would be willing to pay for a design rather than figure it out/design it myself or try to look for a free version, unless there were already some spectacular reviews. I certainly wouldn’t want to pay to be the guinea pig for an unverified design. GF seems to be marketing towards a group of people that are not willing/capable of creating their own designs, but obviously to those who are willing/capable as well. I expect this would require vetting of designs and designers. I don’t have much of an opinion on whether Glowforge would pay for that process through their cut of the profits or designers would pay for applying. There are always other places to sell/buy designs if you don’t want to go through that process, though.

As far as one use prints, while the idea sounds nice, I would be pretty upset if I bought a ‘one-use’ print and it didn’t work out well, and I also see plenty of Nefarious Ned options if they try to handle failed prints on a wide basis. Maybe it wouldn’t be a large enough portion to make things not worth it, but it always pisses me off when I know people can cheat their way out of paying for something I’m paying for easily enough.

3 Likes

Will user uploaded designs be tested? Or maybe have proven (printed/constructed) designs have a Glowforge certified seal of approval or something. Unless a picture of a constructed /created design were posted along side, who’s to say a design wasn’t uploaded right from the design stage - which may or may not work (assembled) ? Just kind of thinking through the keyboard… right now I 'm just waiting for my GF to ship so I can start thinking more and more about projects and designs and implementations. The catalog and its format/rules/presentation/usage can be modified and worried about after !! (in other words - get that hardware out the door) :relaxed:

4 Likes

As always I can’t speak for them but I get the impression that it will be Apple level curated. So I would guess they will build one from ProofGrade and it will have to be unique from other things already there in some significant way.

1 Like