How long can you leave a job paused?

Was wondering if anyone knows how long you can pause a job mid print. Will it just sit their indefinitely with the fans spun up or time out after a few hours and cancel. Was thinking it would be a nice feature to be able to pause a print and have the extraction fans die down so you could leave if something comes up without canceling the print and come back to it later.

2 Likes

possibly have an option to press and hold the button while a job is running to do a pause and cooldown and have it wake up after a re press and continue the job.

2 Likes

Hitting the button during a print pauses it. Hitting it again resumes the job.

yes i am aware of that.

Do your fans go silent when you pause? mine do not they seem to stay at full speed as if it was still printing the job. Maybe there is an issue with my ::glowforge:

mine keep running, too.

1 Like

It might be a pointless feature for most that im thinking about but i live alone and as much as i trust my cat with lasers i dont think she would be able to watch the machine run lol. doing a 4.5 hr print and would be nice to leave the house if i needed to and not have to worry about the fans bursting into flames or something.

1 Like

yeah, i’m not sure why it continues the whole time. i could see running it for another 30 seconds or so, just because you want to finish venting out. but they could pause after that until you start back up.

3 Likes

Sounds like Hopper fodder.

3 Likes

That was what i thought but wanted to bounce if off any willing eyes before submitting it in case i was just crazy or had a machine full of gremlins

1 Like

I’ve paused a few things…one time for maybe an hour…but, seems I’ve read that others have paused them for longer. The fan stays at full speed for me, too.

1 Like

Thx for letting me know. Seems like the idea i had above would be an easyish thing to implement and have the option only available in the gfui so people wont accidentally throw their machine into “hibernate” and have a physical button press be required to wake it back up.

2 Likes

It’s not designed for extended pauses.

Posting things like leaving the home while it’s paused will likely result in them putting a (reasonable) time limit on it. The idea of leaving the machine with flammable materials in the middle of job is good legal fodder. The button is software, not a safety interlock, things can go wrong.

1 Like

You can still have the physical button as a safety interlock for restarting the machine. I’m not sure how many times the machine gets updates from the cloud once the job has started but if the job is loaded into the machine which i think it is because if internet connection is lost the print should still continue. I’m sure they could provide pop ups and warnings that would also alleviate them from legal responsibilities if a feature like this is used. in theory it would have just as many start up steps minus the original set focus and if the lid is opened ((edit) or the machine is turned off) it can just revert to a canceled job just like every other project. I don’t think leaving flammable materials in what is essentially a machine that is off and waiting is a problem because i do that all the time.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I left it paused on a large engrave job for about 2 hours. I had to run and grab some items for a wedding. The fans did stay full blast the whole time.

5 Likes

… and conveniently, by way of demonstration, a machine firing at full power when not commanded:

This is a perfect example of why I would not (and do not) leave my machine powered on when I’m not at least in the house, least alone in a software-controlled “pause” condition.

2 Likes

Well agree to disagree then i guess. i was just looking for a solution to a problem i have, i still think that if the machine was essentially paused and locked assuming the software was worth its weight i would have no issue with it. I’m not worried about that edge case and will continue to do things the way i do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.