How to Create a Cut Line around a bitmap Engrave in Illustrator šŸ¤”

Yes, you can skip steps 2 and 11. Do everything else listed.

2 Likes

Thank you. Worked perfectly and very easy. Key chain I created with a drawing a made based off a cookie I seen online lol. Thought the mummy would be a cute keychain.

7 Likes

Cute! :smile:

I just downloaded the mac version of AI as Inkscape is driving me bonkers. I took my outline image svg that I created in photoshop and used the trace function in AI. What Iā€™m getting is an engrave and cutā€¦which is fine I can ignore the engrave but the cut line looks like it is a shadow. I donā€™t want my machine to cut the inside line just the overall shape. Does anyone know what Iā€™m missing in my settings?award_cut

You have two strokes in your design. Delete one.

2 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™m getting better at tracing and getting the right stroke lines. The design process of creating is the hard part!

1 Like

Woah! That is so cool! :smiley: May I ask how you got that effect? I am guessing you first engraved black acrylic, then cut the body from white and inserted it into the engraved black? So the back is probably solid black? Or?

I havenā€™t attempted anything like this yet, but I have really been wanting to give it a whirl.

1 Like

Totally late to this party, but this helped me so much!

4 Likes

Never too late, and welcome to the family!
Thereā€™s some really smart people here who are lifesavers!

1 Like

This is great, thank you!!!

1 Like

Thank you!

Dang @Julesā€¦once again you have created the most straight forward tutorial/explanation. This group is lucky to have you!

3 Likes

Awwwwā€¦thank you! Iā€™m happy to have helped out a little! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I was just trying to figure this out tonight. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Jules! Thanks so much for thisā€¦ still working through itā€¦ I cannot find the SVG optionsā€¦ where is that located? AI 24.0.3
Thanks!
Kevin

1 Like

Oh, click on File > Save As, then click the little drop down arrow and choose SVG in the Save As Type blank.

Sorry, I see where I can select the type to SVGā€¦ I cannot find the SVG Options menuā€¦ where I can tell it to outline the font and embed the image as per step 12.

1 Like

Itā€™s a popup that happens once you select the SVG file type and click the Save button.