How to delete and change paths in Inkscape

Not sure if I’ll explain this correctly so bare with me :grinning:

Newbie here at Inkscape. See photo attachment. I want my red border to be attached to my text (see blue arrows) and I want to delete/rid of the area circled in yellow. How do I do this?

To do what you seem to be describing, I would use the node tool to select the nodes in the A where you want them to connect to the frame and break the path at those points (with the break tool on the toolbar: Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 11.33.10 PM ). Use break apart (cmd/ctrl+shift+k) to break the A into two objects. Delete the piece you don’t want.

For the frame, double click with the node tool to add new nodes where you want it to connect to the modified A. Do the same thing with breaking the path, breaking the frame apart and deleting the unwanted bit.

Then, select both the A and the frame and combine them (cmd/ctrl+k). Use the node tool to select the nodes that should connect and merge them (with the appropriate icon on the toolbar: Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 11.30.18 PM ).

I am not sure if that is enough to get you there. If not, let us know and, someone will try to add some illustrations.

It might be worth your while to go through some Inkscape tutorials. Logos by Nick on YouTube is often recommended and, I have found the videos of his I have seen useful. I haven’t seen this one but, it looks like it might be a good place to start:

There is a playlist of his other Inkscape tutorials here:

5 Likes

It works! Thank you so much!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.