How to engrave a glass bottle on a Glowforge

You can also create 3d sand blasted images by creating a layer for each depth in your design. This technique can create really detailed images if you work in thick enough glass. I did a piece years ago of 3 calla lillies and it would have been easier and looked better if the layers had been laser cut. Getting even more excited!

1 Like

And of course you have 123dMake to make those layer plans :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perfect! I was slightly bummed the opening would not allow for a bottle or glass for etching purposes. This is a brilliant go-around.

2 Likes

I’d love a tutorial video on how you did that. I would definitely want to do this once I get my glowforge (even if it means buying a sand blaster!

1 Like

haha, yup, me too. now I need to make space for a sand-blasting cabinet, add another circuit to my fuse panel, and run more outlets into my warehouse space. whee!

1 Like

Another alternative to the sandblaster is to use glass etching cream. I’ve seen this product used in the glass blowing shop where I’ve been learning to blow glass.

2 Likes

Other than etching paste…I recommend the HARBOR FREIGHT “air eraser” for $24 (after 20% coupon +tax) IF you are doing small work here-and-there. For a lot of work just invest in a used or harbor freight blast cabinet and a decent blast setup.

8 Likes

That’s a GREAT little tool, didn’t know it existed! Thanks for pointing it out… what’s the PSI?

1 Like

PSI is Pounds / Square Inch, a measure of air pressure.

1 Like

The product description says 65psi. (there is an extremely similar looking one on Amazon - the PointZero - that says 30-50psi)

Oops, didn’t catch that - thanks!

1 Like

That etching creme might contain hydrofluoric acid, which can be pretty nasty stuff. Read up on risks, PPE, safe procedures, and medical treatment before using it.

1 Like

This one does not contain hydrofluoric acid, which is a common commercial way to etch glass, but not good the a school.

1 Like

Nice work. Some may be interested that Grizzly came out with a new little sand blasting cabinet Model T27359. You still need an air compressor, but it has some nice features. On sale till the end of December. No, I don’t work for them, but do spend a lot of time in their Bellingham showroom :smile:

2 Likes

My $50 garage sale air compressor might need an upgrade now. It’s absolutely too loud.

1 Like

good price on the grizzly, and looks like it could be good quality, but it seems that it would be too small for a lot of things. you need room in there for your workpiece and room to maneuver the spray nozzle. I was unimpressed by the quality of the harbor freight ones (the floor model that I looked at: main door had a 1/4" gap when closed, tho may have been assembled wrong at the store, that often happens) but the price-to-size is hard to beat.

1 Like

Used them in the past. They work great, but expect to make a BIG mess. Sand everywhere!!!

1 Like

I’ve done alot of auto restorations - great tool, but there’s no containing the sand!

2 Likes

Here is a photo of the sand blaster my wife and I use to etch glass. It works well and is extremely inexpensive does not require a large compressor. A small 1/2 gallon pancake compressor will run it just fine. The only downside is it is a syphon feed so you need to have you project upright or at least a 45degree angle so that you keep suction on the sand. I built a box with a stand in it to catch the majority of the sand so it wasn’t all over my shop and made cleanup easier. The battery is there for a reference of size.

7 Likes

For some reaon, I never thought there might be mini sandblasters. This is exactly what I need!

2 Likes