How to get a Centerline Trace in Illustrator šŸ¤”

An inkscape version of this tutorial would be great if there are any inscape gurus out there!

2 Likes

Inkscape has a plugin. Thereā€™s a link in the Matrix (just added it when I wrote this up.).

Sweeet!

1 Like

@Jules, I could hug you! This is just what I needed for a project Iā€™m working on now. Thanks for saving me the time!

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

I am having some serious with this and Iā€™d really appreciate some help. When I try to do what you said it takes away most of the image and just keeps a few random black segments of the outline. I have no idea what Iā€™m doing wrong. I have a line drawing a bart simpson. I want to engrave the inside line art and then cut out the outline shape of bart. How do I do that? This centerline trace is something I really need to figure out because Iā€™ll need to use it a lot. PLEASE HELP!

If you want to engrave the inside lines and then cut out around them, you do not want to do this kind of trace. (This will make cut or score lines out of the whole thing.)

All you need to do to engrave the image is Embed the jpeg image into the SVG file. The Glowforge will take care of engraving the image for you. Then you would need to create a Cut line around the image. You can do that with the Auto-Trace but it takes a few steps.

I will put some screen shots up later that show how to do it using Auto-Trace.

2 Likes

@fugee13 - Iā€™ve put up a little tutorial on the process in Illustrator - here:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for posting this

1 Like

No prob! :grinning:

Adobe illustrator looks a little different on my screen so I am unable to follow these steps. Not sure what i am doing wrong. :frowning:

Welcome to the forum.

What looks different? How far did you get in this example before things looked different?

I already have an SVG that looks like this - not matter what I do I cannot get to the same outcome as youā€¦ any ideas?

Canā€™t you delete one of the lines in node editing mode?

3 Likes

If dimensional accuracy is not critical this is definitely how I would do it.

The latest version of Illustrator still does the Center Line Trace. There is a preset (Line Art) that will get you close to where you want to be. But it only works on bitmaps.

3 Likes

Iā€™m so glad this was resurrected. Can I ask if anyone has the issue of it just going white when they do a trace? I even created a big fat lined bitmap just to try the line art thing. No matter what I do, no matter how thick the lines are, it goes white. In either instance.
(I donā€™t actually have a ā€œlive traceā€. I have Image trace, and Live paint, and neither look like the example above. I did find the Line Art in presets, but it goes white too.) ā€¦ETA: Could the lines be too thick? I tried to do something that looked like a coloring book, and not like a line drawing. lol, Iā€™m seriously lost.
I have to say that I know absolutely ZERO about illustrator. I can do photoshop with my eyes closed, so I understand the basics of adobe, but Iā€™m absolutely clueless about this.
If anyone has even an inkling of an idea, Iā€™d appreciate it so much.
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

You guys, I spent all day trying to figure this out, and I wanted to share what I found. Resolution makes all the difference! I have no idea why, but lowering the resolution from 300 to 72 finally made it work! (Iā€™m not kidding when I say I ran image trace at least 500 times today. I had to figure this out.) So following @Jules instructions (thought line art might work too) and lowering the resolution gave me darn near perfect centerline. Thanks so much for this tread and sending me down a rabbit hole where a learned a ton!

3 Likes

Which version of AI are you using? (Live trace has been around for several versions)

2 Likes

ā€˜Image traceā€™ replaced it around CS6, I just learned that today. Weā€™re on the subscription so all I know is that weā€™re up to date. :slight_smile:
I think I learned enough today that I might start using it more. I never thought I would!

2 Likes