How to get a precise Autocad print

Does anyone know how to get a precise cut using Autocad? I tried converting to a pdf image, but the prints are rarely precise and don’t match the drawing. A simple grid type lattice will have varying thicknesses over only an 8" long piece. I make architectural models (not crafting projects) and precision is key.

Also, why does the machine print in a position different from that indicated on the screen? I don’t like to waste material.
Also, how can I get rid of the burnout corners?
I used an Epilog Legend for 20 years with few problems, but now may need to drop another 20-40k for a machine with some precision.

You’re going to want to post some pictures, and your art if you can, because some of what you’re talking about should definitely not be happening, and other things should.

1. You don’t get the full bed. You get about 11.5 x 19.5 (the specs are on the main glowforge site) so if you’re using PG material there will always be edges

2. The image on the screen is perfectly accurate directly beneath the camera as a default, and less so away from that - they use a (pretty amazing) algorithm to give us something close to exact. Using the Set Focus function will get you an almost perfect image directly where you click it, but less so away from that point. If you haven’t already, you should run the Camera Calibration. Generally that gets folks to within a millimeter.

3. Varying thicknesses over a single line is definitely not normal. Hence the request for pictures and your art!

4. If you set up your art board as 12"x20" anything you put on it in your program will appear at that same spot in the GFUI. Beyond that I can’t help with Autocad.

3 Likes

Hmm, I can get perfect stuff out of pdf from Solidworks. Camera accuracy can be dramatically improved by running the calibration steps. Stay with it, you can cut very accurate parts with the Glowforge.

1 Like

I’m sorry that you’ve run into trouble with PDFs which were generated in Autocad. I’d like to take a closer look at the file to look for anything unusual. Would you please share a copy of the PDF you’re having trouble with? If you’d prefer to share it privately, you can email it to us at support@glowforge.com.

If you have the ability to export 2D profiles as a DXF from the version of Autocad you’re using, there’s also something else you can try. Do you have a copy of Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape? Both programs are able to import a DXF file, and then you could try saving your design as an SVG before uploading it to the app.

2 Likes

I regularly get precision to within +/- 0.005 after kerf adjustments. I export from SolidWorks. I suspect there is a setting in your export that is causing the issue, not your laser itself.

2 Likes

What are you cutting? Woods will have different resistance from winter or summer parts of the grain and thus vary the thickness. I routinely cut very thin distances under a millimeter without any issue.

I made Architectural models for many years before computers and would love to do the same using the Glowforge as it would be much better and easier than it was then. If you used Baltic Birch plywood you would get good strength and accuracy.

This is a recent cut in 1/32 Baltic Birch…

3 Likes

I hope your Glowforge is performing well for you. Since we haven’t heard back about this issue, I’m going to close this ticket. We want you to enjoy your Glowforge and are here to help.