How to trace the cut-out part of the design

I am trying to trace a wooden pom pom maker. It’s a 2" by 2.5" rectangle with a .5" by 2" piece cut out of it. When I trace the figure, it comes out perfectly, but when I try to copy it to the Glowforge, it doesn’t let me cut out the smaller part so I can put the border all around the figure. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Thanks so much in advance.

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 3.50.50 PM

1 Like

I apologize, but I don’t think the measurements you gave match the proportions. I tried to match the photo proportions, which would be about 2 inches by 4 inches. Maybe this will help:

Pom Pom

8 Likes

If you are trying to add an outline, do you have it set to zero? I’m wondering if you used trace, if it made the entire area that an image exists into a raster, so your outline would encompass the whole thing. I’m not sure-just guessing.

4 Likes

I tried this but had the same problem. It won’t trace the part that is indented.
Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 4.34.37 PM

When you do the outline, you’ll need to make an adjustment to the outline size. I think it defaults at .25," You can change that to zero, or even a negative number.

5 Likes

7 Likes

When I make the outline to 0 it doesn’t outline the cut in part.

It might help to have a higher contrast object for the Glowforge to trace. Can you cut that out of white paper?

1 Like

I’m just curious as to why you’re trying to outline it? The file I added up there is a cut file. It should be ready to go unless you needed changes made.

I’d say if you have premium, create a new shape by overlaying rectangles over your drawing. Then select all of those and add an outline with a zero border size to make one shape instead of the 3 or so required to make that shape.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.