How to Use Photoshop to Reduce a Raster file Size

@neil (with Discourse), Could you give us a direction on mp4’s being uploaded to Discourse to be played in the iOS Discourse app?

Posting to YouTube is possible, but since we can upload to the community directly, how can this be worked around?

Can’t see it with Windows 10 and Chrome. But I can download it and view it directly.

Everything I’ve seen online says download is the only way to deal with it…Safari issue, I guess. I tried updating everything to try to capture the codecs needed but got no love.

1 Like

My Android phone’s browser (Habit Browser) let me start watching the video. Though, 19 seconds in it stopped. Tapping the play button again made it start over at 0. I put it to fullscreen and turned my phone to landscape, that let me actually read the text… for 19 seconds. The buffer seemed to fill, but I couldn’t scrub around. Then the video totally froze and it crashed. And by “it crashed”, I don’t mean just the browser, my whole phone crashed and rebooted!

Hitting the download button gave me the option to watch it using a video-playing app. That worked just fine.

YouTube videos work on just about every device, just sayin’.

Hey Jules, I tried the raw file on Vimeo.

Tell me what you think:

Plays fine on the PC…currently installing the latest Apple update so it will be a while before I can check.
(Did not play with the phone much last week - they snuck one in on me.)

As I posted in another thread, I think that the problem is that Discourse serves up video files with the “Content-Disposition: attachment;” HTTP header. Safari (on both iOS and macOS) refuses to play embedded videos if the Content-Disposition is set to attachment rather than inline. Discourse needs to modify their server settings to fix this. (Or Apple needs to change Safari.)

2 Likes

Or I need to upload them to Youtube (not going to have time for that) or people who want to view them now on their phones will need to download them first.

Those are the options. Not ideal, but we’ll work something out down the road.

That works great. Thanks :slight_smile:

Nope :frowning:

These are instructions for the Mac. I have no problems with that - just the iPad. I don’t really want to read the forums in the office.

I upload all my videos on Vimeo and the embed link works great. And plays on all browsers that I’ve ever encountered.

Not sure why. I almost only use Safari at work, and play MP4 videos frequently on internal websites…

That was a question and answer culled from the internet…although it doesn’t play on my phone either.

Safari (on the Mac) has a plug-in module that allows mp4 playback.

Unfortunately, Apple does not allow that on iOS and has no plans on adding that functionality.

EDIT: Link from Apple Developers forum
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/51343

Ok, the Vimeo link is viewable on iPhone.

BTW, The Vimeo link is only listed on the GF :glowforge: Forums.

Not knowing if you wanted it publicly visible, I made it the “unlisted” version of Vimeo (as YouTube calls it).

Also, I put it in my paid account (to keep ads out of the video), but it does list my name.

1 Like

If you want to go through and create a link for all of the uploaded demo videos (unlisted) it’s not going to hurt my feelings any…I just don’t have time to tackle it right now.

I’m sure the iPhone only folk will appreciate it greatly.

Can you post a bug report with details on https://meta.discourse.org/c/bug please? I have no info about that. :slight_smile:

For now here’s a link to what I found: Pre-Release | Mother’s Day Part 2: Edge Lit LED Sign

but I’ll go file a proper bug report too.

1 Like

Is this just to save space when saving images, or does this have some effect on lasering the image?

1 Like