How To: Weed a Puzzle Like A Boss

fileprep
weeding

@jbmanning5 is a professional photographer and puzzle maker; he makes puzzles from his own photos. He’s shared a lot of great info in the forums about how he makes them. If you do a search on his username and “puzzle” you’ll dig yourself a nice rabbit hole to get lost in. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i can’t comment on the specific paper that @jbmanning5 uses, but i’ve done puzzles with canon photo paper that i printed on a large format inkjet. i use a 77 spray mount (spraying a layer on both the back of the paper as well as the substrate) to mount the image to the substrate (either 1/8 or 1/4" baltic birch for mine, but i know he also works with chipboard) , and winsor & newton spray varnish to finish before cutting. pretty sure @jbmanning5 uses the winsor & newton as well, since i got the recommendation from him.

4 Likes

My main inspiration behind all of this was to fill out Census 2020, wherever I’m at, with Occupation: Traveling Puzzlemaker.

4 Likes

How are you applying the image to the wood? Are you using the inkjet printer on waxy paper transfer method?

0 Likes

They are photo prints, and then permanently adhered with a gluing machine.

0 Likes

Ahh, ok got it. I was thinking they look really saturated for the transfer method. They look great.

thx!!

jEFf
If you hold someone underwater for long enough, they stop being an idiot

• Anonymous
1 Like

Dream big! :grin:

2 Likes

Brilliant! RThanks for sharing!!

1 Like