How To: Weed a Puzzle Like A Boss

@jbmanning5 is a professional photographer and puzzle maker; he makes puzzles from his own photos. He’s shared a lot of great info in the forums about how he makes them. If you do a search on his username and “puzzle” you’ll dig yourself a nice rabbit hole to get lost in. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

i can’t comment on the specific paper that @jbmanning5 uses, but i’ve done puzzles with canon photo paper that i printed on a large format inkjet. i use a 77 spray mount (spraying a layer on both the back of the paper as well as the substrate) to mount the image to the substrate (either 1/8 or 1/4" baltic birch for mine, but i know he also works with chipboard) , and winsor & newton spray varnish to finish before cutting. pretty sure @jbmanning5 uses the winsor & newton as well, since i got the recommendation from him.

8 Likes

My main inspiration behind all of this was to fill out Census 2020, wherever I’m at, with Occupation: Traveling Puzzlemaker.

10 Likes

How are you applying the image to the wood? Are you using the inkjet printer on waxy paper transfer method?

They are photo prints, and then permanently adhered with a gluing machine.

1 Like

Ahh, ok got it. I was thinking they look really saturated for the transfer method. They look great.

thx!!

jEFf
If you hold someone underwater for long enough, they stop being an idiot

• Anonymous
1 Like

Dream big! :grin:

2 Likes

Brilliant! RThanks for sharing!!

1 Like

This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing…I would not have thought about that. And really cool puzzle with the special pieces that stand up.

1 Like

Make sure they do not record you as traveling troublemaker :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

This is a brilliant time saver. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I used this too!

11 Likes

@dan is that acrylic on top of the image, if so how did you adhere it or did you sandwich it?
Interesting idea, I am loving cutting acrylic except the smell
:frowning:

1 Like

He had answered this on a different thread :smiley:

2 Likes

@deirdrebeth thanks, yeah I thought it was something like that
WOW

1 Like

I really like smart and practical people! Thanks!

@jbmanning5 Hi! I thought that you cut face down…

I cut face up on everything. My first experiments were all face down, but I like the fit better from face up - and no worries about flashback on the image surface!

2 Likes

good point!

Can someone help me figure out how to separate the rows and columns lines in Inkscape so I can make them different colors to cut this way?
I downloaded a template from the puzzle generator and have it opened in Inkscape but cant figure out how to separate them. TIA!