Hydbond adhesive

I have been making a lot of leather patches for hats and using e6000 to glue them up. Came across hydbond (I could have sworn it was here - but the search yields no results). Investigating this as a faster way to make my patches and get them on the hats - has anyone ever used this stuff before?

Hydbond 12” Wide Roll – Hydbond™️

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I’m always on the lookout for new leather adhesives. This sounds promising.

I should clarify I haven’t used it yet - was wondering if any one had. I don’t see a material sheet want to make sure it’s safe for the glowforge. I assume so as their instructions are how to adhere to leather prior to lasering. I have reached out to them for a safety sheet. If not I can always cut the patches first.

2 Likes

Came across this today as I was researching hydbond. I’m curious to know if you’ve tried it and what your thoughts are.

They appear to have very good data for their products, check the SDS for the specific version you have to ensure there is nothing that could harm the laser.

1 Like

I have used it on patches that were already cut out and impressed with the hold on it. I haven’t cut anything out with it already adhered to the leather. However, one of the owner adheres it and cuts it with a Nova 24 as the laser, he has a video here - https://youtu.be/ydX6FCH-BJw

2 Likes

Stay away from using that E6000 on a laser, that glue causes cancer if fumes are inhaled.

Yeah I hate using it, I have never put it on anything before lasering. From what I understand Hydbond is not the same chemical makeup.

1 Like

I use it for all of my custom hats. It works amazing. The customer service was one of the best ever. I needed help and Josh called me from his work truck, pulled over and walked me through the process. My order went out the next day. Hydbond was a game changer for me.

3 Likes

I just got Hydbond Leatherette with the adhesive already applied. Can you share your cutting and engraving settings? I have the GF Pro and I have the regular air filter - is that ok? Would also love any tips and tricks if you can share. Thanks!

@tpinozark hasn’t been on the forum in 6mos +/- so you may not get an answer.

What is the leatherette made of? If the Leatherette is made of anything with pvc or vinyl in it, you 100% cannot cut it in a laser - it will make a gas that will eat the enterior of your machine.
*per their page it’s laser safe - yay!

Actual leather cuts beautifully in the :glowforge: and there are default settings for it. Start there and then adjust your settings if you’re not happy. If you want to test a bunch of settings at once, try this:

3 Likes

@deirdrebeth - Thank you so much! :slight_smile: Appreciate it!

1 Like