I am making this ornament for a friend who loves sloths

I was influenced by this lovely project ( Little chick ornaments ). I still need to glue up and spray with poly.

I bought and customized stock images for the sloth and leaves. I also used acrylic paint pens for the color which is a brand new experience. They were a lot of fun! This was actually my second attempt as I learned how to work with the paint and what would achieve the best results for my taste and intentions.

UPDATE:
Finished ornament below.

Thank you for all the kind comments.

50 Likes

That is AWESOME! my daughter is a big sloth fan as well.

14 Likes

That is absolutely adorable! I love the 3d look.

14 Likes

On a cruise up the Amazon River several years ago, I had the delight of holding a sloth that a child had a pet. The stop was at a very poor village where the families asked for $1 to take pictures. Now I use the image of a sloth as part of the logo I engrave on my work.

11 Likes

Have you ever tried color pencils on raw wood? It is another fun way to color for mixing colors. Yours looks amazing with the paints.

9 Likes

That’s amazingly realistic! Trying a possum one for my future DIL.

8 Likes

I need to do that!!!

7 Likes

I love possums!

7 Likes

I like colored pencils too!

9 Likes

That paint work is so nice!

9 Likes

It’s not nearly as nice as yours, but this is it.

13 Likes

Aw, sloths! :slight_smile: I’m impressed by the nice paint job, and great layered design. You can easily imagine a huge forest behind it.

9 Likes

It’s lovely. I love that he’s holding a gift!

I want to do a tribute to this little guy now.

11 Likes

This came out so well, your friend is going to absolutely treasure it.

7 Likes

This makes my heart warm.

6 Likes

I love the layering and complex color. That’s a nice gift to your friend.

5 Likes

The sloth is adorable, and the painting is perfect!

4 Likes

Cute!!

4 Likes

Outstanding design!

5 Likes

Love the layering! What a fun ornament! Your friend will enjoy hanging this on the tree every year!

4 Likes