I guess modeling monuments can be a thing too... Gateway Arch

I guess it’s a good thing that I don’t require much sleep, someone (ovm.steve) mentions something that would look cool, and an hour and a half later I have a drawing ready to print… :slight_smile:
A bit of Proofgrade Maple Plywood and a Glowforge Pro, 6 minutes of laser work and you have the makings of a miniature arch to display. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

65 Likes

That is really cool! I’d love to see the whole set!

3 Likes

I read your post as “GlowForge Pro 6”, without the comma and thought OMG mine is only a 1!!! Lol!!!

The base under the arch is great too!!!

5 Likes

That is amazing. Thank you for making that, I feel honored.

4 Likes

The beauty of your work is soul-satisfying to look upon.

4 Likes

Spot on! I live in the area and you captured the Arch perfectly.

3 Likes

Awesome job on that! You’ll have to come here to St. Louis and peddle them to the Arch museum.

5 Likes

If you start making Devil’s Tower out of mashed potatoes I think you might need to seek help. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Love the design and absolutely love the maple

1 Like

Do they still have that bomb proof museum under it?
We stopped there once in the late 60’s just to get out of the car for a spell, and ended up spending the day. They were adding to it, so if still there it probably is a lot larger.

1 Like

I really love your work!

3 Likes

You are our of Control with Creativity , amazing.

3 Likes

It looks fantastic! My sister lives north of St. Louis, and I always think I need to get down to see this.

When I was a kid we drove through and saw it. Very cool!

1 Like

The museum was heavily remodeled and expanded a few years ago. I was there last fall and it’s really nice. Not sure about it being bomb proof though.

1 Like

Yeah they had a brag movie to watch and it showed thick doors at the entrance at each side when the arch touched the ground.
Concept was suppose to be another flavor of the pyramids with a history story for when everything went poot.
Was not that long after MAD, and bomb shelters were going out of favor, so I suppose they may have changed the role.

Just went online and looked. Yeah, nothing like what I remember and seems like a bunch above ground.

1 Like

The entire museum is still below ground, covered by a huge lawn, but it now has a grand entrance that is very open to the outside. (It’s visible on satellite views as a big circular plaza. Edit: also in the upper-left corner of @yoyodyne2112’s excellent model. ) The rest of the grounds have been landscaped very nicely; it’s now a good park for walking/jogging.

2 Likes

Absolutely fanfriggintastic! Great work.

1 Like

Very cool! I grew up in STL and my parents are still there. My dad is a retired architect who worked downtown his whole career — and has photos of standing on his office roof watching them put the keystone into the arch!! They had a lot of fire engines on site blasting water at the base, because it need to move just enough to fit the keystone piece in, but the heat generated by doing so was a lot. Maybe I’ll make him an arch ornament for Christmas. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome!

So awesome. As a Missourian, you nailed it:-) You work is amazing.

1 Like