I ❤ HARDWARE HACKING

Works for big/ship guns when you need to analyze the muzzle. A camera cant survive well there when the gun fires. The mirror doesn’t survive either but it does long enough. I am sure it would be fine in the GF. I believe it also is used a lot on movie sets to catch action shots.

Thinking a camera for spotting smoke/fire or a smoke or temp sensor? I haven’t looked too much into options but something like this might work well on the right side of the GF. If there is smoke there then there might be a problem. Then create an AI system to use the data. Overview | PM2.5 Air Quality Sensor | Adafruit Learning System

1 Like

My opinion exactly, as long as I am not touching the GF guts, I can do what I please. . .

1 Like

Updated GFcam™ image, focused

2 Likes

it completely does NOT interfere with anything internally!!!

and the power. . .

2 Likes

Well THAT drove my eyes buggy! Didn’t even realize there were still floppy disks around!

floppy disks???

1 Like

Making me feel old, aren’t you! Ok, I’m so old, I remember when I was in high school, I had in self-paced class in “IBM keypunch.” It was a HUGE machine that had two parts and used binary language. You would put in a card (made of cardstock), type in what you needed, and then take the card and put it into the second machine called a “verifier,” where you’d have to type the same thing again. If you made an error, you had to retype it all over again. It’s the type of system that made all the little “chit” holes that messed up an election years ago. :slight_smile: I finished the class in 2 weeks and was asked by the school district to help them catch up on some of their work. I got it all done within a month, and after graduation, was offered a job at the school district.

The school district purchased a computer that looked like it was from the movie “Wargames.” It literally took up a large room which had to be kept cold. Then it was the “mag card” system, which didn’t last long. Thank goodness for that!

My husband and I bought our first computer when the only color choice you had was a black/green or black/amber monitor, and they used “floppy disks” - 7" at first, then down to 4 1/2", both of which were very thin and very bendable. We were excited when they came out with 3 1/2" ones that had a hard shell around them! And then came the color monitors!

I also remember the first “hand” calculators, and the first cell phones - called “bag phones,” which had to be plugged in to use and were like carrying a purse around.

I must say that I love how technology changes - and now I have a Glowforge that I can make all kinds of neat stuff on! I can only wonder what’ll come up next. :thinking:

1 Like

uhhh FLOPPY DISKS???

2 Likes

Sizes are close, it’s been a minute:

3 Likes

and of course the mini me version…

1 Like

i have boxes of all three sizes. why you ask? idk. i just do.

1 Like

(so do I) (mumble) as well as zip drives, and even some cassettes with data on them from my apple ][ days, not to mention the 15 to 30 TB’s of data storage I now have spanned over a few Drobo’s in my house.

5 Likes

You guys are all a bunch of babies when it comes to this stuff. I’m second generation computer-storage. When I was a kid, I’d go to work with my dad, where he was designing disk drives that were literally the size of a washing machine. I started out in the days of 5.25" Hard Drives (still have an old “Rodime” and a Quantum ATA card HDD). You want Tape? I got Digital Equipment DLT and SuperDLT tape drives and cassettes. I still own the first IBM PC XT I bought in 1983 for a contract job I was doing. Heavy clicky-keyboard and green phosphor monitor and all. That PC came with a 10MB HDD I think cost an extra $2500. Grand total for the machine was something like $6K. Now, you can get a 1TB SSD that’s got 100000x more capacity and about the same in better performance for $100 and install it in a laptop computer that’s 100x less weight and at least 1000x more powerful and it will cost you around $300 in total.

I’m sure I have some ZIP drives someplace, too. All this crap isn’t even worth trying to sell. I’m hoping that in my “twilight years” at least some of it will have become collectable and I’ll be able to sell it all off to keep the heat on. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@evansd2, I was close. It HAS been years you know!
@randy.cohen - I still have zip drives, and still use them. I have movies saved on them that I hook to the TV, or to transfer files from one computer to another. Still a little old fashioned. Our first computer sounds just like your IBM PC XT, including the green monitor. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“when I was your age I was dialing into compuserve on my 300 baud acoustic coupler modem”

4 Likes

@ellencadwell “FLOPPY DISKS”??? – what triggered that?

1 Like

He was referring to the “freespin” video @evansd2 posted above.

1 Like

Guilty. Mine is color, though! White/cyan/magenta OR yellow/green/red.

2 Likes

Yep, I was. Though I’m a SHE not a HE. :woman_white_haired: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

My bad! I should have guessed from the handle. Or I could have said “they” and played it safe…

1 Like