I ❤ HARDWARE HACKING

(s)he . . . . . . long before there was they, them, us…

My computer now identifies as non binary…

3 Likes

Spotted at an antique shop tonight:

4 Likes

Seriously, think about how many people have never seen a real floppy disk but are supposed to understand why this :floppy_disk: icon is “Save my file” :grin:

4 Likes

That’s not an ANTIQUE, that’s a supercomputer with ONE MEG of MEMORY!
bet it has one of those fancy shmancy external disk drives too!

1 Like

Wait till you find out how young people mime “I’m on a call”…

I wonder what people do to tell someone to lower their car window?

3 Likes

My husband had one of those when they first came out. He felt so important! :no_mouth:

3 Likes

Yeah. I got one of those, too. Plus a Mac LC and whatever it was they called their first workstation box. And I think I still have a Motorola PC that was the only ever-officially-licensed Apple compatible computer sold commercially. Can’t remember what they called that, either, “Something” Star, or something.

I periodically retire stuff even if it’s still working perfectly fine. I work in the electronics industry and reliability is one of my primary areas of focus. I never turn my machines off, so after about 5 years they’re approaching the back side of the “bathtub curve” (where the failure rate starts to increase due to “wear out” factors). But they are still working perfectly fine. Seems a shame to throw 'em away. So they go on a shelf in the basement specifically dedicated as my Electronics Elephant Graveyard with the hope that they will either be resurrected for something in the future, or achieve “antique/collectable” status so they’d be worth selling.

Don’t get me started on PDAs like my original Newton Message Pad 100, or the much larger (and actually kind of worked OK) Message Pad 2000. Or Windows handhelds. I got a lot of those, too.

1 Like

Well, I installed a more permanent install now, with a real camera mount instead of some double stick tape bunched up :stuck_out_tongue:
Here are updated pics:

and a GF eye view of the action

The wires are all tucked behind the air intake / power supply I added a USB Mini to USB-A (female) adapter so I can plug in more of a selection of USB devices.

There is NO issues!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Jonathan

6 Likes

My desktop:

4 Likes

I have a couple boxes of elephant 5.25 floppies in the celophane wrapper.

1 Like

“zip” drives"

ha poser. :slight_smile:

I have JAZ drives,

my oldest computer is my Osborne1

3 Likes

Well, I have an “ECD MicroMind” computer, which dates to 1975-76, a much more capable, but unfortunately less successful 6502 based contemporary of the Apple I computer.

My first job was programming the MicroMind.

If you didn’t subscribe to “Dr. Dobb’s Journal of Computer Calisthenics & Orthodontia” or “Byte Magazine” you probably wouldn’t have known anything about it.

Pose away. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I read Byte, Dr. Dobbs journal, computer shopper, A+, Macworld, Macweek, Went to comdex, my first machine was an Apple ][ (not a ][+) - with 16k of memory and a cassette to load data. with a 40 column crt. (oh and 2600)

1 Like

Pre-Compaq! I don’t remember if they called it luggable or something else. but darn it was heavy.

Apple licensed a bunch of companies to make Mac clones in the 90s, most notably Power Computing Corporation, DayStar Digital, and Motorola, but there were about thirty other licensees. (You can find a list in the Wikipedia article on Mac clones.)

Those Mac clones weren’t the only officially licensed Apple-compatible computers. Apple also licensed the Apple IIe ROMs to Tiger Electronics to make the Tiger Learning Computer in 1996, but that was killed along with the Mac clones when Steve Jobs returned to the company and is a very rare device as a result.

Oh and of course there was the Pippin but that’s a whole other story. Apple did some stupid stuff in the nineties.

TWO WORDS @tim1724 Apple ///

1 Like

pshaw.

first computer i programmed on (other than in fortran on a mainframe with punch cards) was an atari 400xl. it had 4k of RAM. in a cartridge that was 2x the size of a nintendo cartridge. no actual storage. you typed in your program in basic, ran it to show the teacher it worked, and then lost it when the computer turned off.

first one i owned was a commodore 64. my storage was a cassette tape.

1 Like

The Atari 400 was my first computer, with the membrane keyboard. I was in 6th grade. Spent most of Christmas day trying to get it to run ANYTHING. Finally realized you needed to buy a $50 BASIC language cartridge separately. Until you have that, you had a very expensive digital notepad that lost your notes if you turned it off. Good times!

1 Like

Remember the disk notcher? It cut another read/write notch on the other side of the disk so you could use the back side in single-sided drives. Saved me so much money until I could get a double-sided drive.

3 Likes

OH MAN, I loved those!!! - I have a ‘back then’ horror story, I had a ‘toolkit’ on some 60 floppy disks - was going to ‘the city’ (NYC) on the subway and my bag was sitting next to me, the Heater in the seat I guess had a high magnetic field and wiped EVERY SINGLE DISK…

ARRRRrrrRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

2 Likes