I hope I didnt ruin my laser. Its only 3 days old!

GF Pro newbie
I was engraving a cutting board and had my material a bit too high. When it went to engrave it moved the cutting board. I started over placing the boards properly but the engrave was off. It actually was no longer center on the end. It engraved partially off of the end of the cutting board. I took it out and put the crumb tray in and tried to cut a small star but now it just keeps saying that I dont have any artwork.
I have read and followed instructions here but nothing has worked. Have I ruined it after only 3 days?

2 Likes

Not a problem. When the laser arm contacted the material the calibration was lost. Turn the machine off and back on and it will recalibrate.

The no artwork is because the design is off the workspace or some setting isn’t complete on your end.

6 Likes

If you open the front door bend down and look under the laser arm you can see the little fan shroud sticking down. that is what hit your cutting board.

This little tool will help you position material in the focal range without the tray.

4 Likes

Thank you. May I ask another question? I am trying to engrave a cutting board. I set my desired position then hit print. After it calculates how much time it will take the designs moves. What’s wrong?

1 Like

Check out this page for the Set Focus portion, This will let you select where to focus so that the camera image is aligned properly for the height of your work.

2 Likes

That didnt work. It is still shifting. I believe it’s because when I had my material too high it bumped the material. I did the restart but the problem is still happening.

1 Like

Generally if it moves when you hit the print button in the UI it runs the Set Focus and aligns the camera image… Running the set focus ahead of time, and ensuring that while it is running the red dot under the head is hitting your work is important. If you see the red dot miss then you need to run the set focus again selecting a better position.

1 Like

Thanks! I thought that the set focus was to focus on the material not the art work. I’ll try focusing on the art work. Thanks again

1 Like

It does both! :smiley:

3 Likes

Got it! I think the problem is solved. Thanks so much for your help.

1 Like

Hi @deenie1619. I’m sorry to hear that you ran into trouble with prints on your new Glowforge. I saw that the Community members were able to help you get this resolved, and thank you for posting to let us know that! I’ll go ahead and close this thread since the issue has been solved, but feel free to create a new thread if you run into any further trouble. We’ll be here and happy to help. Happy printing!

1 Like