I Like To Make Stuff | Glowforge (Prerelease) Laser Engraver Overview

To the average user what it doesn’t do isn’t really relevant. The reason rotary attachments are options/accessories on other machines is because most people don’t use them. Ditto the adjustable beds/Z-axis. I bet 90% of what people do in our Makerspace is less than a half inch thick. The laser there also has the rear pass-thru door blocked by a wall (and it’s not on casters so it’s not moving) so I don’t think anyone is using the pass-thru either. For a mass-market medium like YouTube and his channel, I don’t know that it’s his responsibility to point out everything the GF can’t do.

1 Like

I wonder if there was another way to do it. There are so many unknown unknowns with a v1 project with this much ambition. I’m a bit of a pessimist looking forward (and an optimist, or rose colored glassesist, looking backward), so when I put my money down, I figured there was a good chance I wouldn’t get a Glowforge for quite some time (and maybe never).

Now it’s looking likely to me that I’ll get one before Christmas depending on how many gotchas they see in ramping up production rates and also making the pro.

But if they’d been as pessimistic (or realistic?) as me and others, would they have been able to build this community, get all of the backing, etc.? Probably not. As painful as it has been to see people borrow money, invest hopes and dreams for income and then have to deal with delays, perhaps it’s the only way to do it if you’re trying to start something new?

3 Likes

Not slamming the video at all. But it was a review intended to portray his sense of a thumbs up or thumbs down. He liked the machine so that is what the video was saying. There were things he described that are not in his unit or even released yet so in those areas it bordered a review of only the possibilities. I lke the Basic Glowforge laser cutter too, but can’t really speak to functions I have not seen.

3 Likes

Well to be fair, I never called it a review. This was an overview of the tool. I can’t feel good about reviewing a beta unit as it’s technically unfinished. Once I get my pro unit and can thoroughly test it and find issues, then I can really review details.

19 Likes

Sorry, “I had the expectation that it would take longer than expected”. Is that better?

8 Likes

Yeah, she’s really good :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Color, I’m really not sure. I was just pointing out the changes based on value (light/dark).

3 Likes

Fair enough. My own Dyslexia (or old drugs) seeing the word Review where it wasn’t. It was a good Overview. Upbeat and entertaining. Both of us like the machine.

8 Likes

So you are saying different shades of grey vectors get engraved at different powers?

1 Like

I knew what you meant :smile: I haven’t backed/pre-ordered a lot, but I’ve never had any technical pre-release type order show up on time or even doing everything I thought it was suppose to. I’ll take being late over being crap any day of the week. Good overview.

2 Likes

That’s my understanding. It will interpret a black vector as a cut while a 10% grey as an engrave. Is that correct @dan ?
I could be off base.

2 Likes

Strokes (vector paths) can be either scored or cut, depending on what we set in the interface. (Color doesn’t matter.)

Fills and rasters (pixels) are always engraved.

Probably just coincidence that you’ve been designing your lines in black. :relaxed:

2 Likes

It might be handy if the grey scale colours were treated as special cases with black as full depth cut and the grey gives the depth of a score.

2 Likes

I believe they do that with the 3D engraving process on the raster side of things. Darker colored grays are engraved deeper into the material, lighter colored grays are shallower engraves. (There’s a scale process in there as well.)

I haven’t messed with it as much as some of the others - they can fill you in on the deets. :relaxed:

Yes but it would be handy if they did the same with black and grey vectors. It could save some set up work.

3 Likes

Looks like I was wrong (confusing it with Inventables Easel software) but maybe they’ll take it as an idea to integrate :wink:

8 Likes

Yep… :slight_smile:

Glowforge has not excelled at timelines. I don’t see it as bad thing to point that out. There are lots of things they have excelled at, as you rightly pointed out.

I hope the move is going well, safe travels.

2 Likes

Love the idea. Would be a great way to automatically differentiate power levels for different scores. In the hopper? I hope so :smile:

I thought that was very well presented and a comprehensive overview. Thanks @karaelena for posting it!

4 Likes

That is exactly something I would do… if I only had a band saw. :grin:

1 Like