I Like To Make Stuff | Glowforge (Prerelease) Laser Engraver Overview

Would it be as simple as drawing round it with a sharpie and then using the GF to cut around the pen line?

3 Likes

I believe it would have treated it all as one thing to engrave but I’m not sure. It’d be interesting to know if it would do that outline as a separate item that could be set to “cut”

1 Like

That would work. :relaxed:

2 Likes

It seems to me that the big deal would be the difference between cutting with the laser (burnt edge) and the band saw, which would not be.

2 Likes

@karaelena, thanks for posting this – nice, clear, and concise explanation. It’s great that I can simply forward the link to this video to friends and family who have questions and want more information than is on the Glowforge launch video.

2 Likes

That’s how I’d do it but it would really be nice to have a rectangle and ellipse vector tool in the GFUI to get it exact or as needed. Still there are workarounds for everything and the message I give always is that the interface is pretty simple to use and with some good vectors and bitmaps you can do amazing things. Or if you can draw somewhat decently. Not my case though.

1 Like

Why I don’t know, but for the first time in my life I read all the comments on a video. It was an eye opening experience. I learned:

1. The most disliked feature by the public is the cloud computing software… by a long shot.
  2. Many can’t afford one so that means it’s garbage, too expensive, a waste of money or all three.
  3. I will never post a YouTube video with comments on. If I do feel free to troll me, thereby joining the 90% of comments that contribute nothing helpful to anything.
16 Likes

Welcome to my days :slight_smile: Yeah, the comments were very polar on this one. But, the good thing is that generally the positive, encouraging and honest comments far outweigh the rest.

4 Likes

Yeah, funny how the cost of something, or somebody’s ability to afford it (or not) suddenly means it’s not worth the price. Why, 20 years ago you couldn’t touch a laser cutter for less than $15k-$20k and “hobby laser” was an unheard term. Guess those other laser cutters (which are still $15k-$20k today, by the way) are garbage too, huh?

2 Likes

Fills are automatically assigned engrave settings & strokes are automatically assigned cut settings, but you can adjust from there. “Brightness” doesn’t translate to depth, but it’s a great idea for the hopper (cc @tony). As noted it does in bitmaps during 3D engraves, though.

If you click on the whitespace around a black object, it will cut out the black object - so yes.

Love the idea for quick shapes… we’ll put that in the hopper!

6 Likes

Nice review by ILTMS:

13 Likes

Ugh… I searched first and nothing came up. Sorry!

5 Likes

no problem :smile: Good news needs to be shared in more than one place. At least that’s my story every time discourse search lets me down and I’m sticking to it!

3 Likes

I love that he addresses the delays in a very logical way. Love this guys videos.

6 Likes

Would it be as simple as having an SVG of a rectangle and a circle and dragging them in to place and sizing then in the GUI? I.e. does it allow width and height to be stretched independently?

3 Likes

What gets me is that even though Glowforge have said they’ll eventually release an open source firmware, all these K40 and other laser owners comment that they can’t wait to get the benefit of tracing and camera features into their own devices as a result.

They’ll likely be wrong to think anything of the sort.

Glowforge will release firmware that can move and control the laser (like a laser powered CNC)… They never promised to open source the cloud based code that serves the browser based editing. Not the end of the world (we have Inkscape and other editors), but I think it just shows how they don’t understand how its been designed to work together as a cohesive ecosystem.

6 Likes

I hope you don’t mind that I jumped in and answered a bunch of the questions in the comments.

Oh, and BTW, great video.

1 Like

If YouTube (Google) had kept to the policy of real names, some of the trolling (and idiot uniformed statements) would not be done.

It is amazing when someone has to own up to their actual words how they keep stupid to themselves. :thinking:

4 Likes

i feel you; the number of times i’ve been told that clearly some company or other had paid me to produce content…

1 Like

Not at all! It’s appreciated! Thanks!

1 Like