I Like To Make Stuff | Glowforge (Prerelease) Laser Engraver Overview

No, can’t resize X/Y in the GFUI independently yet. Just resize components as a whole. Something I asked for when first testing the interface. A feature that would likely be a low priority until more important features are completed.

1 Like

Yes there’s a few things missing that you can do easily on a normal laser cutter. For example you can just fire the laser and jog the head to cut something out.

Although I solved this by having a few pre-canned “lines and curves” SVGs loaded. I simply load it, delete the cuts I don’t want (say I only want a series of linear cuts) and just run each one. Is it slightly clunky? Sure. Is jogging slightly clunky? sure (well I don’t know on a laser but it is on a mill)

4 Likes

It’s a good practice to start your trace and scan by first loading your all-purpose vector shapes file and then do the trace and scan with those vector shapes in the interface. Then you can do the cutouts with the resulting trace. Still can’t change height and width of the shape independently but it does have its uses.

3 Likes

Me too! I’ve been busy this morning jumping in.

2 Likes

Excellent advice! I suppose you could build a box of any size by loading two lines perpendicular to each other.

2 Likes

I have one file this is just one line. Copy and paste and rotate and resize and it’s any size box I need.

4 Likes

Of course! Forgot about the rotate bit.

I will be adding a easily accessible folder on my design computer and on my iPad.
It will contain: a line, a square, a circle, a triangle, a couple of stars, a few arrows & badges, and my maker’s mark / signature drawings.

3 Likes

I made some files, as well…square, rectangle, circle, etc…because I could not figure out to make one file that would resize to any size. If I make a square, I can make it larger or smaller, but not into a rectangle and so on. Can you tell me how to make a cut/score file that will resize to any shape of box to rectangle, circle to oval, etc? I would love that. Is that what you’re meaning here…or have I got that all mixed up?

The circle and the oval are problematic. You are stuck with a proportional resize of the original. As to squares and rectangles, all that you need is one line. You can make that line longer in the UI and copy and paste and move a line parallel to the original. Then paste another one, make it the size of the other side and holding the shift down when rotating it, constrain it to move 90 degrees to the other side. It’s cludgy at times and sometimes it’s faster to just go back and make a custom box shape in Inkscape, but it does work, especially for cutting out a trace.

2 Likes

OK…thanks for explaining that. Not nearly as easy an idea that I hoped it would be…but certainly it would work. I was just hoping there was some secret thing that would make it very easy. :relaxed:

A quick sketch tool for common shapes is definitely something that @tony’s got in the hopper.

9 Likes

Great. I have a number of primitive shapes imported as SVGs sitting in my library, but it requires that I leave the current design and attempt to overlay my primitives on a blank slate so to say… so having that available while leaving the current design up would be incredibly helpful

6 Likes