I made a Book Press

This thing really stretched the limits of what my Forge can do.
2" thick material? Check.
23.5" long 1" thick wood? Check (BARELY FIT, and only engraved because it wasn’t wide enough for the axis arm wheels to hit as they moved forward!).
Engraving around the circumference of a round object? Check.
Using highly figured woods? Check.
Using the Forge to augment my router by making acrylic templates? Check.
Needing to get sub-milimeter accuracy for repeat engraved areas? Check. (Was very hard to do though…)
Making knobs by inlaying washers and nuts into laminated proofgrade? Check.
Using the Forge to accomplish complicated inlay? Check.

Want to see the journey of building it? Head on over to the video at the link below:

Click here to see the Video of the Journey!

I am getting into bookbinding, and I needed a press (I was inspired by Stopan to get into bookbinding- go check out his channel it’s AMAZING Click here for Stopan’s channel! ).

So I designed one that combines a press, a finishing press, a sewing frame, and a plough. I am still making the plough sled, but this machine already has the infrastructure to support it and guide it along.

It is made with figured walnut and curly maple, with copper inlay. Half of my family heritage is Scottish (Leith!) and so I went with a somewhat Celtic motif. The press includes hidden magnets on each side to hold sewing tools. The sewing press can be used with cords or bands, and although I had no bands to show in the video, that’s what the needle ends are for, and the smaller slots.

This was a REALLY fun project, and I can’t wait to make some books with it!

127 Likes

Wow. That thing is a work of art. Nice job!

3 Likes

Thanks! I am SUPER happy with how it turned out!

2 Likes

That thing is a work of art even if it never makes a single book. That’s gorgeous.

Binding books was a lot of fun, I wish you all the success :slight_smile:

6 Likes

wow. that is amazing. great detail.

4 Likes

Insanely cool!!!

1 Like

Ooooh! You FANCY!

2 Likes

That is a lovely book press! Bookbinding is something I really enjoy, but have always made do without the press. Now I’m a bit jealous. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I do not know what you would do with a book press but I absolutely love this.

I own over 1000 hardback books I have a library in my home. I would love to purchase this from you and have it as a decorative art piece in my library.

Truly spectacular!! Where do I send the check?

8 Likes

Beautiful!

3 Likes

Amazing! I love seeing working pieces that are created with (and with help of) the GF. It really is beautiful!

6 Likes

Wow, you just made an heirloom-worthy piece. I am so impressed! It looks like something that will show up in museum 200 years from now.

I’ll watch how you built it, but I won’t visit the recommended site; don’t need another rabbit hole to tumble down.

6 Likes

Top notch work, fantastic result! I know a few bibliophiles who also love wood - this will blow their minds.

5 Likes

Beautiful! The copper inlay is just :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

Looks very solid and the details you’ve added with the Glowforge are fantastic.

3 Likes

Just stunning, thank you so much for inspiring.

3 Likes

The woods that you used along with the work you did on the laser is fantastic. Very professional, you should be really proud.

4 Likes

I love it. I can’t wait to see the books!

4 Likes

That is absolutely amazing!

2 Likes

This is an amazing project. Love all the engraving.

4 Likes