I saw an issue about this last June, but it is still happening to me. Copy and paste is broken in the web interface

I am trying to make a BUNCH of stuff for my daughters girl scouts. Was doing little kangaroos, koalas, boomerangs and austrailia cutouts they could swap. I was asked to do at least 100.
Off to the glowforge I go. I had an outline that I cut, some details to engrave, and a circle cut to hang it from.
I lined up those three, and copied and pasted. But I had a line of approx 5 koalas, and another line of 5 kangaroos

I wanted to do more in one run, but if I select a copy of the koala’s cut and a copy of the engraves, and the circle and then paste i get random objects. One of the times I did it, it replace the circle with a little tiny koala. It seems very repeatable, and easy to diagnose. They are losing the index of cut and paste objects and pasting the wrong one. Worse, the error sometimes make other objects on the screen disappear.

My workaround is to do less each time. But that is a pain.
Is there any news on the copy/paste bug getting fixed?

I copy and paste all the time. When a part is highlighted like you were going to move it, you cannot use < rt click > but must use < ctl+C > to copy and <ctl+V> to paste then it will not paste near the mouse but close to where you copied it, If the group is complicated after copy I move that group to the farthest point and then the paste will be very near where it was when I copied it, so I move that and so on and you can lay down quite a number that way.

1 Like

This doesn’t help with the bug. But probably the best work around is to just set up a 12x20 artboard in your original design file and make the duplicates there. Leave a margin around the edge of the board to accommodate the slightly smaller area for engraves and you should be good to go.

3 Likes

I tend to leave browser windows open forever.
On this issue, killing the browser, and relaunching made my copy and paste work correctly again.

I still think it is a bug in the glowforge webpage, but at least I found a workaround.
To bad I was almost done with this project:

2 Likes

Works for most things, but if you have 50 copies of a photo you will have 50 layers just for that. That Is why I use copy paste inside the GFUI so I only have one layer for all photos as well as a single case for each of the other layers.

1 Like

True. I don’t really do duplicates in that sense very much. Easiest way there maybe would be through organization; have your images in a single layer in your design program, that way when you are ready to go to print you just select the layer and rasterize, which will rasterize all of the images together into a single image.

1 Like

Are you using Chrome? It seems to be the most compatible of the PC browsers but even it will require a restart once in a while.

I agree that making duplicates in Inkscape is best practice though.

That can also be very problematic as the resulting image can be huge or if not then the pixelation is a real problem and visible in the Engrave. Even when rasterizing is necessary I make a copy and make that really big so I get decent detail

Thanks so much for letting us know about this, @terry, and I’m sorry for the inconvenience. We’re seeing this, too, and the team is looking into it. Unfortunately, I don’t have any further details to share right now, but I’ve passed your report on. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic or email us at support@glowforge.com.