I think I made a huge mistake in buying this

Just got my glowforge, tried doing my first large cut on a full sheet and the laser doesn’t cut even half way through on the right side, cleaned all the lens, made sure everything is level and ran the calibration test and no help. Calibration test didn’t even make a mark on the right side. Sent all the images of the lens to support with time and dates and materials and now crickets from glowforge after almost a week. Is that what is to be expected from this $4000 device? really bad service?

I’m really sorry to hear about such a frustrating beginning. When you sent your images and info. to support, did you receive an automated reply? If so, they are still researching it…if not, they may not have received your email. This post will shake things up for you. Best of luck.

6 Likes

Thank you, I got a reply back to the support emails almost the same time your post came in. Thank you for the help!

3 Likes

While support may not be the fastest on the planet, they are one of the most helpful I’ve dealt with. I promise they will make things right. And you will fall in love with this machine!

6 Likes

Thanks! seconds after posting this support emailed me back. I do love the machine so far, it’s just a downer after getting the machine and it not being able to work on one half of the bed.

2 Likes

So are you saying you did not look into specs of the machine or is the machine no meeting the advertised specs.

1 Like

Pretty sure cutting on both sides of the bed is part of the specs :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Device is not cutting through on right half of work area. Support reached out after this post and is swapping my current one. My frustration was with lack of support contact prior to this.

2 Likes

That is what I thought but it sounded like the OG poster was sufficed in their support and so I was really confused if it was a miss understanding in which direction. lol

okay, good! Support was awesome when I had an issue with mine. I just couldn’t tell from your post if you felt the machine was acting as it should. At this point in reading the problem and support threads, I have seen that the size of the glowforge bed somehow is subjective :slight_smile:
Glad you will be up and running in no time!

1 Like

What actually causes the machine’s to not cut on the right side?? I see many posts about that happening and they always seem to have to replace the machine. Just wondering!

1 Like

I can’t say it definitively since I’m not Glowforge and not privy to their info, but I’m reasonably sure that it’s an alignment issue with either the tube being knocked out of alignment in shipping, or one of the inaccessible mirrors coming out of alignment.

6 Likes

Mis-alignment between the mirror inside the left side of the gantry, and the “print head” (the part with the logo on top)…

The beam is a few mm wide until it is focused inside the head, with the lens. If the alignment is off, then less of the beam is “centered” to be focused down onto the material. It only takes a fraction of a degree to become ineffective. It’s set during setup during manufacturing, but could potentially be jolted out of alignment after the fact.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your contributions and tips! @reuben.goulart I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.