I tried engraving Sandstone

You are prepping to seriously confuse some archaeologists in a few thousand years!

13 Likes

That is a very cool accident!!! Welcome to the community!

3 Likes

Wow–silica + high temp–love the outcome of glass in general, but really cool result of your test & absolutely love it!

5 Likes

AMAZING. Great Video too.

Welcome the to community!

3 Likes

I bet a dinosaur skeleton would look cool done in the sandstone!

9 Likes

LOVE IT :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

3 Likes

As soon as I find a piece big enough I’m doing that! Thanks for the idea!

4 Likes

very neat…I may have to try. I tried engraving nachos chips ha! ha! and nothing happened so…your is awesome. :smile:

2 Likes

That’s odd, it worked for me.

You can also engrave your guacamole.

4 Likes

So cool! I had come across this same thing a bit ago and it’s such a cool phenomenon. It’s nice to know it works on all sandstone and is repeatable.

4 Likes

Ooohh, please post a picture!!

1 Like

I am a big fan of thekindnessrocks project (https://www.thekindnessrocksproject.com/) but with lasering instead of painting. Which led me to an interesting bit about the Dare Stones and the lost colony of Roanoke including Bresnau’s collection of fake stones that they paid some stonecutter for. The 10 yr old in me thought it would be fun to make new laser Dare Stones…

:smiling_imp:

5 Likes

A high energy deposit on slate has the same effect. Both sandstone and slate are mostly silicate, as is obsidian - a natural volcanic glass. It looks to me like that is what we are doing … making glass.

3 Likes

wow!! I stand corrected. I must have done it all wrong. I am a newbie so obviously did not try with the right settings. Thanks so much for sharing these post, I will read carefully and try again. Awesome

1 Like

I am liking that look. Very cool!

3 Likes

Very cool. Love that texture.

3 Likes

Thank you for this. It has been a project sitting in my head while waiting all the time for the Glowforge but have not had the piece of green clay to work on, much less the more complex chemistry since it arrived,

4 Likes

How long did that take to do? I assume this was an extra long engrave? Interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

I second the dino fossils and maybe something in Klingon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used a cut path on this with the slowest speed and highest power it didn’t take very long at all it was just under 8 minutes.