IKEA Glowforge Table Hack w/ Drilling Template and Leg Clamps

They worked perfectly! Even on the couple of legs that were wonky. And I cannot believe I have lived my life thus far without that tiny little right angle ratchet screwdriver!!! (I have a goodly number of tools,and screwdrivers, and bits lol) Thank you!!!

2 Likes

This is amazing! I will be making like 6 sets of this when I set up a work room. Thank you a million!!!

1 Like

Laser food, :joy: I’ve not heard that term before(still pretty new) but I love it and will refer to that anytime I feed “Gorbis” from now on. (Gorbis is the name my son gave my forge) :upside_down_face:.

2 Likes

@databoydesign Thank you for the files and video. It took me a couple of days to make it. I don’t know what I was doing wrong but somehow the holes I pre-drilled wouldn’t end up aligning where I needed them by like 1/16th which drove me nuts.

Then when I finally got everything put together I found out the hard way that the Capital legs separate in two pieces. I found this out because when my daughter and I picked it up to move it, the legs came apart. The acrylic held down the inside part of the leg and the part we had lifted kept the other part of the leg. I should have put the casters on it.

Anyway, after a couple of frustrating days I got it put together and it looks beautiful now, so thank you!!

9 Likes

Hi @databoydesign how can I order the acrylic set? Would like to set up before my glowforge gets here.

So these look great, but I don’t have an IKEA store anywhere near us (4 hours away), and shipping is $200. Does anyone have something similar purchased from Amazon, Lowe’s, or Home Depot?

Hi @stephen1 . I’ve started a new thread to answer your question and provide a design alternative for those who can’t easily get the IKEA products.

Try this

I have it in a 46" version.

Or this

A little lower but much longer.

Very cool indeed! What type of table is it that you are using to the left of the IKEA hack. I am interested. :slight_smile:

It’s a table top from the office section of IKEA with the A frame legs that they used to sell. I don’t know the names because I’ve had it for almost 10 years but if you look at the office section, you can mix and match tops and legs.

Thank you so much for making this design available. Built one for myself and it is fantastic.

1 Like

> A HUGE thank you from the UK!

Yes, I managed to replicate your plans with parts from the UK based Ikea stores.
Did mine with MDF discs as I didn’t have enough acrylic but it works and looks great!

I and my little helper thank you so much for this!

I’ve encouraged others I’ve come across from the UK to check out your video on Youtube.

6 Likes

always good to put your deputies to work.

Later on, they start doing things on their own.

came home from work the other day and my 14 yo daughter had assembled
this by herself.

I was a happy daddy. Now she didn’t attach the propane cylinder, so it is not seasoned yet.

5 Likes

Looks great! thanks for the great photos of the table too!

1 Like

fantastic! Indeed she’s certainly not afraid to get her hands on the tools! I hope my minion has as much enthsiasm!

much obliged!

just build up her confidence.

my youngest is 14. she is now suddenly 5’9" so she is now really tall enough to get enough leverage to do more things going forward. also quite strong for her age.

she has operated, circ saw, compound slide miter saw. table saw(catching the boards coming off only at this point) Router, orb sander, of course drill/screw guns, impact driver. for many things like catching off the table saw. I used to drop the blade so we could do a “dry” run to make sure it wasn’t too heavy to catch etc.

it was pretty funny. a while ago I was working on a project with another dad from church and his son. and I handed the tool to the son to make the next cut. the dad was like OH wait! I was stunned that Ben had never used that tool before. don’t remember what it was, now, but I was mighty surprised.

Really it is size and strength that makes it possible to use the tool safely. we have hair in buns, eye protection, and hearing protection, at ALL times no exceptions.

that exception is when you are motoring off to the ER to get something yanked out of your eye, and if you’re lucky you get to keep your eye.

besides, with so many boys that don’t know how to do anything these days. you want her to be able to build/repair stuff. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely- I’ll be encouraging all the way! She’s helping me out together a mini greenhouse this week, more that I’m helping her but I’m gonna let her try to do most of it herself. She’s only very slight at 7 so I’ll do the tightening!
Teaching our kids independence is vital now more than ever! So kudos to you!

2 Likes

even if she is small. you can still stuff her head with knowledge until she gets bigger :wink:

so you are on the right path for sure.

1 Like

I used to have that experience all the time when I would help out my kids’ school drama programs. Building sets & things it was often the case I’d b introducing the kids to the tools for the first time. My kids just grabbed the drivers or sprayers or saws and jumped in. I kept having to remember to do little training sessions for kids so they didn’t cant the circular or jig saw and end up with weird cuts. Even reminding them to get the stock firmly against the fence for the sliding miter - some kids just plopped the wood down somewhere on the table and pulled the saw down. :slightly_smiling_face:

The advantage of growing up poor was learning how to make or fix almost anything. The advantage my kids got was they were able to learn using the proper tools :grinning:

1 Like