IKEA Glowforge Table Hack w/ Drilling Template and Leg Clamps

All,

Since anything that is worth doing is worth overdoing, I way over thought the IKEA Table that others have shown off before.

I wasn’t super thrilled with gluing the feet down to each layer, so I came up with some laser cut parts to secure each layer to each other.

I also created a video showing the process of assembly and how to use the template. Video can be found here: https://youtu.be/UJM3_4iAEds

Instructions:
TEMPLATE.SVG Instructions
Materials: Template can be cut out of any thickness or any material. I used 1/4” Clear Acrylic in my video, but wood or thinner materials would work just fine.
BLACK - Cut
Red - Score
Template

CIRCLES.SVG Instructions
The file contains enough for a single layer of CAPITA legs for the table. I used 5 sets for the unit I built in the video.
Materials: Any 1/4” material would work. I used 1/4” Clear Acrylic in the video.
BLACK - Cut
circles

96 Likes

Great idea, looks really clean.

I just put a tiny ball of Fun-Tak under each leg. Nothing has moved and one time when I tried to pull apart some sections they were stuck so well that the leg separated before the foot released. :astonished:

Your system is more high tech. I like it. :smiley:

6 Likes

Looks great! Well done!

7 Likes

Love it - you could market these!

6 Likes

I am going to ikea tomorrow to get the parts for this table. so glad i came across this post

2 Likes

This is freaking awesome :heart:

1 Like

I’m glad that others are finding this useful! I’d love to see a photo of the table if anyone else builds one using my files!

4 Likes

Can anyone tell me the name of this table?

Links here: Yet another ikea hack

The tabletops are LINMONN and the feet are CAPITA. Both from IKEA.

1 Like

What size is the table top?

1 Like

Never mind. I got it!

1 Like

I know you found it, but I’m going to reply here so that the dimensions show up for others that are wondering.

This tabletop is 39 3/8" x 23 5/8 "

3 Likes

Thanks so much for this design. A cheap way to have a table exactly as I wanted it. And it feels good to build yourself. Only after I put it together and loaded up my material did I know how much material I had. My husband gave me the eye. oopsie. So off to cutting I go to justify it. Ha.

12 Likes

Table looks awesome. Thanks for the photo!

1 Like

Thank you for this!!! Ordering the pieces now!

1 Like

Glad it was helpful to others!

I’ve even had a few people commission me to cut the acrylic pieces and ship it to them so they can build the table before their Glowforge arrives!

4 Likes

I need to make this. I don’t have a great way to store my material. I have stacks of it everywhere!

2 Likes

If I didn’t already have my glow forge I would for sure be asking you! Originally it was sitting on a wooden table I had built but this looks so much cleaner!

2 Likes

Hi! Thank you for this. I can’t wait to get my GlowForge (next week!?) and get started on this. I’d like to share my IKEA hack-hack. I went to pre-order the tabletop and legs from my “local” (1.5 hours away) IKEA for pickup. I got a message that they “had limited stock” and could not fulfill the order. (It also showed a delivery fee of $129, and 3 week lead time. More than the cost of the order itself.) So I worked my way down to 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 table tops to see if they had any. They did not, but what I noticed was that the delivery charge went down significantly on fewer table tops. And somehow, so did the delivery date! So I ended up putting in two orders of 3 tabletops and half of the legs each. The delivery charge was $20 on each order, so it ended up being under 1/3 of the delivery charge, and it comes in a week sooner. Win!!

2 Likes