I'm Really Angry at UPS

Got my shipping notification last night at 7:30pm that my GF was arriving today between 1:15 and 5:15. I quickly made arrangements for a substitute teacher to teach my afternoon class so I could be home for the delivery. I arrived home at noon to a notice of attempted delivery. I called UPS and they offered to deliver tomorrow or pick up at service center tonight at 8pm. I opted to pick up tonight. I have two questions, what are the packaging dimensions–I drive a Nissian Altima, so I am hoping to place the GF in the trunk? Also, do you think UPS will carry the package and place it in my trunk for me? Thanks

3 Likes

If your Nissan is a hatchback, you might be able to fold down the seats and slide it through the back opening.

Bring a cold six pack of beer for bribing purposes.

6 Likes

My Glowforge box happens to be sitting right next to me while I decide on a good long-term storage location for it. It is 14" x 27" x 45". The second accessory box is much smaller.

EDIT: corrected a typo in one of the dimensions

4 Likes

Internal dimensions:
Printable area: 11.5″ (290 mm) deep and 20.4″ (515 mm) wide
Maximum thickness of material with tray installed: 0.5″ (13mm)
Maximum thickness of material with tray removed: 2″ (50mm)
Focus range: 0.5″ (13mm)
External dimensions:
Glowforge Basic & Pro:

38" x 20.75" x 8.25" (965mm x 527mm x 210mm)
55 lbs (25 kg)
Glowforge Air Filter:

38" x 20.75" x 7" (965mm x 527mm x 178mm)
25 lbs (11 kg)

Shipping dimensions:
Glowforge Basic & Pro:

46" x 29" x 16" (1168mm x 737mm x 406mm)
70 lbs (32 kg)

Glowforge Air Filter:
46" x 29" x 12" (1168mm x 737mm x 305 mm)
40 lbs (18 kg)

5 Likes

Assume you can be the sweetest person in the world. Don’t know whether UPS will help carry or not but you will need the charm. Don’t mention today’s debacle.

2 Likes

Photos of box dimensions.

Charm or Outrage? Which works better?

Charm: I am a schoolmarm and I have been waiting for this machine for two years to help teach my students their letters since our district can’t afford manipulatives and bulletin board flair. I have to make all these things myself.

Outrage: I had to take off of teaching to get this Glowforge and because of inaccurate information from UPS I have to come down here to the depot to pick this up and you all really should put this thing in my car for me.

(I can’t do outrage. sorry. )

4 Likes

Thank you so much everyone! BTW, my name is Heidi and I am the wife of the “owner” Dominic and I am pretty sure I cannot lift 79 pounds into the back of my car. I’m going to bring cash, so I can tip whomever is willing to put it in my car for me. I’m off to measure my trunk.

7 Likes

Worse comes to worse it can stick out of the trunk a little going down the road. As long as the trunk lid is tied down.

Random Google pic. Not a GF box.

8 Likes

Good Luck! I hope it fits - if not, do you have friends who have a bigger car? Plan B will be good idea!

Glowforge did not fit in my car (Lay Flat) - I had my Mom come rescue me (I love my Mommy)

All the best!

8 Likes

Obviously. I’m pretty sure f-bombs and @#***!!!@@@###s are required :smile:

6 Likes

Well, its not going to fit in my trunk, so now its plan B. My best friend drives an Acura MDX. I’m pretty sure it will fit once the seats are folded down. Just so you know, UPS said their time frame is an “estimated” delivery time period. So, basically you probably should take the entire day of delivery off to be safe.

7 Likes

It will no problem :slight_smile: Have fun tonight!

3 Likes

I’m planning to take tomorrow off as UPS is saying it will be delivered then. As I’m in Detroit and the UPS tracking site says the package has not yet left the Chicago distribution center I’m beginning to think this is not going to happen and I’m supposed to be out of town (actually, out of state) on Friday. Not sure how this is going to work.

I feel your pain.

2 Likes

I hear you. Mine made it to Dallas about 2:30 this morning, but according to their tracking it hasn’t left for San Antonio yet. I know from experience if it’s not in SA by about 3:00 tomorrow morning it won’t make it to the local hub for delivery in time to be on a truck. I pushed a lot of stuff back to Friday so I could work from home tomorrow, here’s hoping :wink:

3 Likes

Lol :laughing: I so hate the English language (and puritan influence) sometimes!

1 Like

Yep, I expect I will be checking the tracking web site before calling in sick (you know the Glowforge flu :wink:) tomorrow.

4 Likes

If you do drive without the rear hatch sealed, at least open the windows, and turn the fresh air on if you are on a long trip. CO and exhaust fumes like to come back in.

5 Likes

I learned from a friend, that if you take your keys off of one of your key rings, you can take the key ring circle of metal and push it into the lock on the hatch of your trunk lid. This gives you a great place to anchor a rope and then you can string the rope through the loop of metal that is at the base of your trunk. When you want to take out the metal ring, you just unlock the trunk and pull up on the handle.

7 Likes

This! Mine was supposed to arrive later in the evening, but when I got home, it was already on my porch. I live in an apartment complex, so I am not sure if I like them just dropping it off. The boxes had arrived at 10:30 am, so they were just chilling out for about 4 hours.

3 Likes

In my experience the UPS people are pretty happy to help take stuff out to a car, as long as they’re not busy. But maybe that’s just the guys at my UPS customer center.

2 Likes