Impossible Joint Puzzleboxes

Not sure about limitations on the number of photos allowed in posting, but here are several Glowforge Made boxes with “impossible joints”. A staircase dovetail joint was first. Here’s an attempt at a triangle geometry video. Box opens by rotation.

1. Square geometry with rotation opening about center , staircase dovetail;
  2. Square open with rotation about one corner staircase dovetail:
  3. Hexagon linear slide staircase dovetail.
  4. Square linear slide staircase dovetail. This box has a 0.1 inch magnetic pin that locks with a tiny magnet. Upside-down impulse to the box moves pin allowing box to slide open.
85 Likes

Wow - mind blown! These look fantastic - thank you for showing your work. :smiley:

4 Likes

These turned out great :smiley:

2 Likes

those are awesome.

1 Like

I really love the design of these. The concept and execution are fantastic!

2 Likes

That would also look fantastic with acrylic layers… even transparent acrylic. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ooooh! Those look like fun! Thanks for sharing the pics! :grinning:

3 Likes

Super cool. Very fun!

2 Likes

I love/hate boxes like that - my mathematical brain totally understands how they work - my hands on brain doesnotcompute!

Beautifully done, especially the clean cuts vs the burned cuts making it all stand out!

5 Likes

Great work on a clever idea! The inlays are very good also.

Here are two more showing that other meander patterns can be used.

Baltic birch plywood was used with a shellac finish; the dark inlay patterns used stained Baltic birch. Pieces of various layers are aligned using toothpicks. White acrylic was used to paint the joint pattern for visibility.

21 Likes

I love these!

3 Likes

Me too!

2 Likes

I feel like a rabbithole has been thoroughly explored for me. Thanks! Great results.

3 Likes

So cool

1 Like

Different colored acrylic plastic would be neat to show the pattern.

1 Like

Outstanding work! These are so creative…

3 Likes

Thought about trying something like this since Clickspring made the impossible dovetail. Very clever!

2 Likes

Gah! Brain itch!

5 Likes

Oh very cool! Now I wanna make one.

2 Likes