In search of the mythical August update?

So question for you guys and ladies. So I have looked at the shipping spreadsheet that someone has created and i am sure this has been talked about. But… how is it that some people if they entered in their information correctly and order after the pre-order date… how is it that they already have a glowforge?

A couple of explanations for you. In the initial buzz I think a lot of people went in and gave information to the spreadsheet and some people put other peoples information in. I think many people haven’t gone back to update even after moving to the next step in shipping.

and second I’d reference @dan’s post below

10 Likes

That way lies madness. :smiley:

6 Likes

I personally don’t put any faith in a crowd sourced spreadsheet.

9 Likes

It does carry a rather high potential for error.

1 Like

Wow, I have literally lived through that at work. I called it, “The meetings will continue until the morale increases.” Now the communal memory of those days at my company are referred to as “The Times of Great Distress.”

8 Likes

A three day review so far… I hope that doesn’t mean you fear the backlash of its content :worried:

3 Likes

I was thinking the same… As I’m getting the additional shaft for not living in the US, I’m guessing March 18 by now… although it will probably only be communicated in October.

I’m only sticking it out because there’s no competition worth speaking of in this price range, but it’s getting beyond frustrating. I’d like to know there are at least some steps taken to address international deliveries, but with this amount of communication, they might as well not have started even thinking about it.

If I sound slightly bitter, it’s probably because I am.

6 Likes

obviously i can’t make any claims about content of the update, but dan has mentioned in the past about things being reviewed, and it usually takes several days. so that alone should offer no insight.

They had 30 days for review.

okay? i’m not that interested in a discussion about when they update. i was only noting that this is sop

2 Likes

We got July’s in June. Maybe we’ll get August’s in September. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

it’s friday afternoon, i have a suspicion it’ll probably go up tonight at some point.

2 Likes

Only if it’s good news. LOL

1 Like

Word!

2 Likes

Personal opinion? I think many Pro purchasers are going to be happy as they probably swing production quantities to focus on that for the next month, since they’ve managed to get through a lot of (perhaps all?) first-day orders of the Basic units. Then they’ll swing back again to refocus on Basic after a period of time.

2 Likes

i doubt we’ll find out but i am really curious to know what’s holding up production. they’re far behind where they wanted to be, so something is clearly stopping them from scaling.

7 Likes

Anticipation anxiety may be getting the better of me, so please take this with a grain of salt.
With the chatter on the forums about damaged shipments i am worried that this is the root of the delays, especially for international customers.
Internationals pay for re-shipment even if it is a warranty claim.
Given that the international shipping fee substantial (how much?), this could end up being a big hit in the wallet for someone (maybe the customer, maybe Glowforge)
Until they can get these shipped, without damage, reliably, I do not think ANY international shipments would start.
Hopefully, the problem can be fixed by upgrading the box (like @Dan has indicated), or switching to a crate, or something.
Hopefully, it is not that they are just too fragile to ship reliably, which would be a disaster for all of our timelines.
I don’t know, but I am worried.

no, nor should they…it would be the worst place to fumble. that’s a good scenario imo because it would be a solvable problem.

1 Like

Honestly the way things are going, I’m not convinced that these units should be shipped by any other means than strapped down on a proper pallet. Or crated and shipped.
But this becomes an expensive proposition when shipping anything overseas (not that FedEx/UPS are inexpensive).