Infinity Box Completed

I finished Infinity box from my last post and thought I would show off the final piece.

The images on the wooden frame are taken from the No Man’s Sky video game (Where my interlopers at?)

@evansd2 wanted a look at the circuit board (which was etched on my Shapeoko CNC). It’s quick and dirty, but also kind of cool in that it slots the LED lights right into the matching holes in the base.

Short video tour here:

Next up? Forests? Aquariums? Cities? Where’s Waldo? Let’s go nuts!

36 Likes

Are those albumen pearls or whispering eggs?

3 Likes

Gravatino Balls. If you touch them in the game the Sentinels will come and eat you.

4 Likes

Wow! Super groovy. I love this project.

2 Likes

When it first came out I found a dead moon with gravitino balls everywhere and no sentinels. Also, a bug let you place 100 of them in each exosuit slot. They fixed the bug pretty quick, but I made a small killing before the bug went away.

3 Likes

“Say, @shogun, what’s that box made from?”, he says, knowing the answer already but thinking that the forum people will want to know and be suitably impressed.

3 Likes

Ha! It’s Cherry wood, which I am slowly getting better at resawing and milling down to around .13 inches. Having a bandsaw and a planer is super helpful.

6 Likes

Very cool adaptation on the infinity cube. I like how the wooden frame takes this to the next level. Well done!!

For a color changing version, you could swap out the single color leds for these. (also available at Adafruit and other shops). They slowly cycle through the color wheel.

4 Likes

One word:

Mesmerizing

3 Likes

Now I want to build a Tardis version…bigger on the inside than the outside… Love this!

2 Likes

A design with a center tardis console would look really cool!

LOL. It’s so funny you should mention that since my first attempt playing with this was a nightlight for my granddaughter.

This particular one was done on CNC, but there’s nothing here a glowforge couldn’t handle easily. The tardis is a 1 inch square piece of acrylic stock with the callbox design etched on it. There’s a set of four lights underneath it. These are flickerflame LEDs so it looks like it is materializing in. :slight_smile:

Her parents are also huge Doctor Who fans and named their daughter Melody Bowie, so I also made her a treasure box with this design:

6 Likes

Oh, my. Did I mention that I’m infatuated with Alex?

2 Likes

Aren’t we all?

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

get in line

2 Likes

Oooooo, do an aquarium next! That would be so cool. Love this box.

2 Likes

That is a great idea! Need to see if I can get some spy acrylic. This is going to be fun! I see it as an evolution of the snowglobe!

1 Like

I could have scrolled right past all of this if it wasn’t for the TARDIS…I will be reading this post tomorrow when my eyes aren’t so tired they are crossing…you definitely caught my eye!

2 Likes

Build it!!! I want one… I really do!

1 Like