InkScape Extension for Living Hinge

Sort of reviving an old closed topic.
I am trying to figure out how to get the living hinge into my Inkscape but is just NOT working for me. The following is a quote from another (now closed) thread on the same subject:

"The most important part of the instructions is:

Copy living_hinge.inx and src/living_hinge.py to your extension directory.

Don’t forget that src/ is actually a directory you’ll need to add to the existing extension directory. Put the python script in the new subdirectory. Here’s the relevant bit from the Inkscape directions:

Copy the files into the directory listed at Edit > Preferences > System: User extensions. After a restart of Inkscape, the new extension will be available.

Finding the right directory is typically the biggest challenge.

Good luck!"

“Copy the files into the directory listed at Edit > Preferences > System: User extensions. After a restart of Inkscape, the new extension will be available.”

So I’ve gotten to the :Edit > Preferences > System:" Do I “Open” the User Extensions?
Can someone please post a video of this because I’m totally lost.

1 Like

I don’t do videos, but per the image yours are at:

So you want to open that folder (they provide you with a convenient button to do so) and save the living_hinge.inx there. Then right click and create a folder called src and open that and save the living_hinge.py file there.

Then they’ll be in the folder (these are mine - note my extensions are in a different place)
my extensions are at:

Shut down Inkscape and re-open and they should be there. Note, I don’t have them in there.

2 Likes

THANK YOU! You’ve been WAY more helpful than all the YouTube videos I’ve watched. :slightly_smiling_face:
Now I see it in my InkScape Extensions under Render, but it not highlighted. So how do I use it?

Now we’re outside my knowledge area since I don’t have that extension. It’s possible you need to create a box or something for it to fill with a living hinge.

Hey @dwardio - any advice?

Yes, exactly that, you need a rectangle. Draw box, select it, select the extension - it will fill the box with a living hinge.

Be warned, I’m not sure it is working properly on the latest version (1.0) of inkscape. YMMV

2 Likes

Confirmed – it generates a slew of errors running under version 1.x. MarioVoigt has updated the python code to work with the new engine, though, and files are available at the link below.

NB: I haven’t had time to install and test the new .py and .inx files, so cannot confirm they work correctly.

https://gitea.fablabchemnitz.de/MarioVoigt/mightyscape-1.X/src/branch/master/extensions/fablabchemnitz

3 Likes

I pulled that up last night. I see a huge list of files there but how do I download the Living Hinge files?

1 Like

Under the Ls, find the livinghinge.py and .inx files. Click on them and on the next page you should be able to either download them or copy&paste the file contents. For more details, check the Github documentation.

Do I click on the living_hinge.inx / py itself, or go I click on Refactored extension names? Because they are different. And after I copy where do I paste it to?

alternate suggestion – install a previous version (0.9x) – the extension should work fine.

You mean a previous version of Inkscape?

I’ve installed the 92.3. Now can you tell me how to move the files (which I downloaded from GitHub earlier) to Inkscape?

I’m sorry that you ran into trouble while designing in Inkscape. It looks like you’ve been receiving some excellent advice from our other community members. Thanks folks!

I want to ensure that this discussion can continue, so I’m going to move this thread to the “Everything Else” section of the forum.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.