Inkscape Help!

Hi,
I’ve been on Logos by Nick and still can’t figure out Inkscape very well. I’ve also looked on here but I’m not sure what’s called so I’m not sure what I’m looking for. I’m trying to change the line colors so just the feet are engraved without any background. I’ve already converted it to an SVG file which is shown here.
336602116_563525548906486_7713887496053895450_n_adobe_express
Thanks!

I assume you are starting with a photo of some sort. Have you tried simply removing the background and loading the jpeg to the Glowforge?

2 Likes

The photo is shown above that I’m trying to work with. How do I remove the background? Thanks

1 Like

Gimp is one program that can do that.

2 Likes

Inkscape is a vector design app, you are working with a raster/bitmap and should be using an appropriate program, such as Gimp as suggested above.

Inkscape does have some basic bitmap manipulation tools but it is not the ideal tool for the job.

SVG is just a file format, a container of-sorts. It can contain raster and vector elements, but you don’t need SVG to print a bitmap. The GF interface will take JPG, PNG and other bitmap formats.

2 Likes

Here. 60 seconds in Gimp… Took longer to open the SVG and export in JPG format…

No idea what you plan to engrave on, but “convert to dots” is likely the best option for most wood.

6 Likes

Yes I plan on engraving on wood. So the pic you did in Gimp I just upload to GF and it’s ready to go or do I still need to do the “converting to dots” thing? Thanks everyone for the help although I’m still struggling to figure it out…LOL

1 Like

You need to make the image completely black and white with the white being the background. (White = zero power during an engrave while full black equals whatever power setting you I put, shades of gray will be in between.

For the image you’ve shown, in Inkscape your only real option to do this is to use Image Trace. (The contrast is quite low tho, which could give you difficulty with the trace, it is a better job for a raster program like Photoshop or Gimp)

2 Likes

Thanks everyone I got it finally! LOL

1 Like

You said you already got it, but just for clarification - the “convert to dots” setting in the Glowforge user interface turns shaded images into different levels of darkness, by changing the “dot” density. Look closely at news print, as an example. The Glowforge software can print shaded images in the same way. It has three distinct settings, dots, patterns, or vary power. Some images are better suited to each, but vary power is mostly used to make 3D depth-relief engravings. Photos are usually better using dots or patterns.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.