Inkscape & Living Hinge

Hey everyone I am trying to use the Living Hinge plugin for Inkscape. I seem to be getting this error every time . Help Please

~\share\inkscape\extensions\living_hinge.py:49: DeprecationWarning: Effect.OptionParser or optparse has been deprecated and replaced with argparser. You must change self.OptionParser.add_option to self.arg_parser.add_argument; the arguments are similar.
self.OptionParser.add_option(’–unit’,action=‘store’,type=‘string’, dest=‘unit’,default=‘mm’,help=‘units of measurement’)
~\share\inkscape\extensions\living_hinge.py:50: DeprecationWarning: Effect.OptionParser or optparse has been deprecated and replaced with argparser. You must change self.OptionParser.add_option to self.arg_parser.add_argument; the arguments are similar.
self.OptionParser.add_option(’–cut_length’,action=‘store’,type=‘float’, dest=‘cut_length’,default=0,help=‘length of the cuts for the hinge.’)
~\share\inkscape\extensions\living_hinge.py:51: DeprecationWarning: Effect.OptionParser or optparse has been deprecated and replaced with argparser. You must change self.OptionParser.add_option to self.arg_parser.add_argument; the arguments are similar.
self.OptionParser.add_option(’–gap_length’,action=‘store’,type=‘float’, dest=‘gap_length’,default=0,help=‘separation distance between successive hinge cuts.’)
~\share\inkscape\extensions\living_hinge.py:52: DeprecationWarning: Effect.OptionParser or optparse has been deprecated and replaced with argparser. You must change self.OptionParser.add_option to self.arg_parser.add_argument; the arguments are similar.
self.OptionParser.add_option(’–sep_distance’,action=‘store’,type=‘float’, dest=‘sep_distance’,default=0,help=‘distance between successive lines of hinge cuts.’)
~\share\inkscape\extensions\living_hinge.py:180: DeprecationWarning: Effect.affect is now Effect.run(). The output argument has changed.
effect.affect()
~\share\inkscape\extensions\living_hinge.py:58: DeprecationWarning: Effect.unittouu is now a method in the SvgDocumentElement class. Use self.svg.unittouu(str) instead.
l = self.unittouu(str(self.options.cut_length) + unit)
~\share\inkscape\extensions\living_hinge.py:60: DeprecationWarning: Effect.unittouu is now a method in the SvgDocumentElement class. Use self.svg.unittouu(str) instead.
d = self.unittouu(str(self.options.gap_length) + unit)
~\share\inkscape\extensions\living_hinge.py:63: DeprecationWarning: Effect.unittouu is now a method in the SvgDocumentElement class. Use self.svg.unittouu(str) instead.
dd = self.unittouu(str(self.options.sep_distance) + unit)
~\share\inkscape\extensions\living_hinge.py:66: DeprecationWarning: Effect.selected is now a dict in the SvgDocumentElement class. Use self.svg.selected.
if self.selected:
~\share\inkscape\extensions\living_hinge.py:68: DeprecationWarning: Effect.current_layer is now a method in the SvgDocumentElement class. Use self.svg.get_current_layer() instead.
parent = self.current_layer
~\share\inkscape\extensions\living_hinge.py:69: DeprecationWarning: Effect.selected is now a dict in the SvgDocumentElement class. Use self.svg.selected.
for id, node in self.selected.iteritems():
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “~\share\inkscape\extensions\living_hinge.py”, line 180, in
effect.affect()
File “~\share\inkscape\extensions\inkex\deprecated.py”, line 183, in affect
return self.run(args=args)
File “~\share\inkscape\extensions\inkex\base.py”, line 131, in run
self.save_raw(self.effect())
File “~\share\inkscape\extensions\living_hinge.py”, line 69, in effect
for id, node in self.selected.iteritems():
AttributeError: ‘dict’ object has no attribute ‘iteritems’

That’s a typically the format of error you will see when the version of the plugin is not compatible with the version on Inkscape.

1 Like

I had a feeling. I’m an Adobe Illustrator guy. Just wanted to use the Living Hinge extension. Make things easier. Wish I could find an Illustrator living hinge plugin. But no luck yet.

-Mark

You could see if there is an updated version of the plugin, or install an older version of Inkscape.

I believe there are also online living hinge generators as well.

https://www.festi.info/boxes.py/ has boxes with living hinges for the curves (note, living hinges don’t work as hinges - at least, not for long.)

Create a box with a suitably-sized piece and use Illustrator to cut out the unneeded parts.

1 Like

LOL, I was just at that site.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.