Inlayed Dice Vaults

My Dungeons and Dragons group celebrated two years of play and the return to playing in person. The DM asked if I could create some personalized dice vaults for everyone. He selected the woods for each character, and I used my CNC to make the vaults and the router table to put the chamfers on the top.

I then brought them to the Glowforge, and we lasered the traditional DnD logo for each class on the top and the character name on the side. I used brass powder, aluminum powder, or dyed epoxy to make the inlays. We then gave them to everyone as a surprise in the game.

I was inspired by Wyrmwood and this particular video from them: Wyrmwood - Crafting Elvish Dice Vaults By Hand

49 Likes

Lovely work! :grinning:

1 Like

Exceptional!

1 Like

You used epoxy as the binder for each?

I used Thin CA glue and a CA glue activator for the brass and aluminum powders. Then sanded it on a stationary belt sander.

2 Likes

They look amazing!

1 Like

Those are gorgeous. Now I’m feeling like I’m letting down my gaming group a little bit :stuck_out_tongue:

What is the wood you used for Kol’s? The top looks like it’s made from tiny bricks rather than wood. That’s incredibly cool looking.

1 Like

The woods are :
Kol - Leopardwood
Yllathrya - Yellowheart
Glas - Wenge
Pimpernell - Purple Heart
Torinn - Zebrawood
Knowhere - Paduk

4 Likes

Oooh - there have been a couple other projects with that and it’s gorgeous every time! If I weren’t on a new-material restriction right now… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s a nice material.

2 Likes

These are beautiful. You could design something similar (not copyrighted) and sell it in the catalog, or sell finished pieces. Your choices of wood are amazing.

1 Like

Very nice & perfectly professional.

1 Like

How thick are these? I have some leapordwood I want to cut out with the laser. Wouldn’t mind if you pm’d me your settings for that (nudge nudge wink wink, you know what I mean):wink:

1 Like

What a lovely thing to do, these are gorgeous and I’m sure all the players will treasure them!

1 Like

Love them! I play a mandolin, so that bard one (guessing) is my fave!

1 Like

The actual cutting and milling of the Dice vaults were done with a CNC (https://www.nextwavecnc.com/). I used the Glowforge for just the engravings. I don’t mind sharing those settings (feel free to DM) and may eventually write up how I selected my setting for the inlays (which is nothing special).

The thickness of the starting lumber was around .9"

1 Like

Those look great!

1 Like

I might eventually work on a version that could be done laser only by cutting thin layers and gluing them up. I have gone back and forth on making custom versions of these.

Some of the challenges are that folks on Etsy don’t seem to value their time or equipment and sell items for way too cheap. Second, while they look nice, and I am proud of them, the challenge is getting the laser engraving accurate enough on the box to justify the higher price I would have to sell these at to make them worth my time. So I will need to keep practicing on getting them more accurate.

2 Likes