Inline exhaust fan

Just a little side note of FYI
with the external fan (switch set to off) when the Glowforge is ‘printing’ the internal fan is still on (at a slow speed, to aid in smoke movement)

2 Likes

thanks. I might brave turning it off now. It will be excised eventually.

3 Likes

I think it is just unpowered, but in either case I would expect that there would be less buildup with it freewheeling than powered up. What I have noticed is that the faster the smoke is moved out of there the less time it has to settle on stuff and the less buildup occurs YMMV but perhaps a third as much as before.

1 Like

I appreciate the breakdown, thank you.

I just got my replacement unit and for some reason I can no longer turn off my internal fan (I have an external set up) - what am I missing here? Can I no longer do this? ! Picture of where I used to be able to turn off the fan (as you can see it’s greyed out).Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 4.37.02 PM|406x500

Double check that you’re online with the correct machine (there will be a drop down top right that shows all your machines). If yes, then either open a support ticket in the P&S section, or send them an email and they can fix that on the back end.

1 Like

For sure!

1 Like

You can turn off the internal by telling it you are using the filter

It’s greyed out for some reason and won’t let me! I’ll try support and see if they can fix it.

understood. I did that with my original forge.

I’m curious if this can be a replacement for the exhaust fan? Mine stopped working and they basically said I need a new glowforge, but if this could be a replacement I’d much rather spend $30.

I haven’t used my exhaust fan since I got my GF. I keep saying I’m going to remove it, but I haven’t yet and I have had my machine 2.5 years.

2 Likes

Doesn’t the area you’re using it in smell of burned wood or whatever you’re cutting/engraving? Without the fan it all kind of lingers.

Nope, the inline fan pulls much more air than the exhaust fan would and its vented outdoors.

3 Likes

I finished my new set-up at my new place. I’ve got a normal height window instead of the ground-level one from before, so I used some plumbing piping, and acrylic & an insulating tube for the window :slight_smile: Now that I know it’s working I’ll likely replace the gaff tape with something more permanent.

I’m still using my original 4" Vivosun and my blast gate from @DaveStruve’s design.

and of course I cut the last piece of insulation (going around the fan exhaust and through the acrylic) just a touch short hence the tape there :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

When my original machine exhaust died I got a 195 CFM Vivosun that worked well enough except for the smokiest cuts. Now my machine has a working exhaust fan so I used them both when there is a lot of smoke likely. So you will likely need a 400 to 800 CFM machine to not be able to use the exhaust fan on the machine, but they work a lot better and are way quieter.

3 Likes