Innovative Plastics Two Color Laserable Acrylics Settings

Had good success with engraving this stuff cleanly using the settings below.

Engraving:
1000/16/270 LPI @ .06" Focal Point

Cutting:
180-240/100 @ .067" Focal Point

Score:
300/40 @ .067" Focal Point

Link to the Project it was used in is here:

23 Likes

Got a product link?

How was the smell? I have scraps of a view different kinds, from a makerspace scrap bin, that are absolutely horrible smelling. I won’t cut them anymore. (I kinda wonder if they’re NOT laser safe.)

1 Like

I did run across some 2-color plastics from Inventables that absolutely reeked. I’m not sure they weren’t designed for CNC, and not specifically for lasering. I quit lasering those too.

The sheets tested for this and other projects that worked without odor had “Laserable” in the description/title. They had no smell and burned easily.

3 Likes

Pretty sure it was Johnson Plastics, but it was a long time ago during one of their sales, so I’m not sure which one it was…hang on…

here’s a link to one of the metallics. Those laser extremely well, but they are very thin. Pretty sure the yellow on black was a lot thicker…like 1/16th inch.

Oh yeah…here’s a better one:

Speed on the cut through is going to need to be changed based on the thickness…I picked up a motley assortment of samples during that sale. But the engraving works across the board.

2 Likes

@Jules I am working with the IPI two color today 1/8". I finally got settings to reveal the second color. :clap: Did you experience a residue of the top color on your engraves? If so what did you do to clean it up? image

I didn’t have the issue. Normally I would say that was because the Pro might be using more power, but at less than Full Power, they should all be just about the same.

Did you try just brushing it off? (If powder fell on the hot plastic it might be lightly stuck on there…a good washing with a toothbrush might get rid of it.)

Or you can try a super fast second pass at very low power to vaporize it off.

Thanks for the reply I did try brushing it off. I will try the fast pass. My settings were 550/40/450 @.125.
Trial and error! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Thanks! I am using the 12" x 24" x 1/16" Sheet Gemini Duets Engraving Plastic. It engraves to a different color…Red shows white when engraving.