Inside of glowforge getting sticky

Hi,
I’ve been using the proofgrade materials and have used under 20 sheets in the time I’ve been using my glowforge… Granted they’re intricate cuttings…

But I noticed the crumbtray and inside of the glowforge is getting very sticky. Is there a suggested solution on how to clean this? Is this normal?

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

The crumb tray can just be left as is unless the buildup starts interfering with the placement of a material.

Check out the support link in the app and click through to cleaning and maintenance. It does address some of this.

I may kick this to beyond the manual but:

What the pre-release folks found was that using some mild cleaner on the inside of the machine to keep the buildup in check is not problem.

First go over everything carefully with a vacuum cleaner attachment.

There have been those who have even dissassembled the honeycomb , soaked it and cleaned it back in the days when the honeycomb was silver colored.

I’ll carefully wipe down the rails and other surfaces without any cleaner to ensure they are not obstructed.

I use Simple Green and some old rags and then wipe things down with paper towels. Glass cleaner on the lid and the tubes.

You actually can just leave it build up. As long as the lenses and path windows are clean, you are good to go.

The exhaust can get clogged up where the fan blows out the back. Check that.

Lots of topics on cleaning through the years.

13 Likes

You don’t want the inside of the cover to get too sticky or cloudy. Not that it will affect the operation of the 'Forge, but it will hinder your ability to watch the awesomeness in action!! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks! I had some Simple Green around and that did the trick. I just hadn’t seen that with other laser cutters I’ve used… Usually it wouldn’t bother me but it was starting to look yellowish on the front flap so I figured I should address it.

Thanks again! Luckily no visible residue on the lid or lenses :]

We appreciate the answer @marmak3261, that’s right. I’m going to close this thread - if you have any additional questions, go ahead and post a new topic.

Thanks for letting us know about this!