Instant Pot

my favorite pressure cooker meal, but my wife is not a big mushroom fan, so i don’t make this often unless i’m home alone. it’s incredibly earthy. porcini mushrooms are the key.

Ingredients

1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
1 1/2 cups boiling water
2 pounds boneless short ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound button mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
6 ounces egg noodles
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh dill, for serving

Directions

1. Soak porcini mushrooms in the boiling water for 10 minutes. Chop mushrooms; strain and reserve mushroom liquid.
  2. Season meat with salt and pepper. In a 6-quart pressure cooker, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Working in batches, add meat and cook until browned on all sides, 5 minutes, adding more oil as needed. Transfer to a plate.
  3. Add remaining tablespoon oil, the button mushrooms, and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned, about 6 minutes. Add porcini mushrooms, mushroom liquid, and chicken broth. Return meat to pressure cooker, along with any accumulated juices.
  4. Secure lid. Bring to high pressure over medium-high; reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook until meat is tender, 30 minutes. Remove from heat, vent pressure, then remove lid. Stir in egg noodles and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium until tender, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Shred meat and stir in sour cream and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with dill.
7 Likes

As a chef and food blogger I feel compelled to join in. I was going to post this in the Trumpkin thread but it got closed. Here is my veggie chili recipe from my blog…http://www.theculinaryexchange.com/blog/how-to-make-vegetarian-chili/#.WfbiVjOZOjg Enjoy!

7 Likes

That looks almost delicious. I say almost because… Cilantro. Oy.

2 Likes

Oh YUM!!!

My love instant pot! We have 2 and one of them is the Bluetooth one… (Obviously Captain Awesome’s idea)

Anyways - my best Instant Pot Recipe:

Zuppa Toscana

1 lb Italian sausage (I like mild sausage)
2 large russet baking potatoes, wash, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
1 large vidalia onion, chopped
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups packed in measuring cup kale chopped
2 (8 ounce) cans chicken broth, add 1 envelope of chicken bouillon for extra flavor
1 quart water
1 cup heavy whipping cream

DIRECTIONS:

1. Chop or slice uncooked sausage into small pieces and “saute” in the instant pot until meat is browned
  2. Add onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to sausage and “Saute” until onions are clear and aromatics of the seasonings blend together.
  3. Add potatoes, chicken stock and water and stir. (use Chicken Bouillon envelope for extra flavor is Chicken Stock is weak).
  4. Close Instant Pot, lock the lid/vent and press Soup - should cook about 25-30 minutes
  5. After beeping, release the pressure, then open lid to add the kale, whipping cream and stir.
  6. Close Lid back on let it sit for 5 minutes
  7. EAT! Can add bacon bits
5 Likes

Obligatory Proofgrade joke here

7 Likes

It is interesting how popular pressure cooking has become in the past few years. As a kid my family had and used a pressure cooker (stove-top) quite often. After I got married I found an old electric pressure cooker at an estate sale. It was missing one of the legs and had horrible seals (so it leaked like a sieve until it built up enough pressure and heat to expand the seals.

A few years ago we bought a Breville electric pressure cooker and, even though I don’t use it that much, it is one of my favorite appliances. I wish I had a tested recipe that I use to share, but a lot of times I just wing it. Last year for Christmas Eve we had enchiladas, rice, beans, tamales, etc… and I set up the pressure cooker to do the rice while we were at church. Here’s what I think was in it.

1T olive oil
2C white rice
1 small white onion, diced
2C chicken stock
1.5 C water
1 can stewed tomato (with the liquid), cut big pieces down
2 diced chipotle peppers with sauce
Juice from 1 lime
2T tomato paste
1T chili powder
1/2t cumin
Salt and pepper

Heat some olive oil in the pressure cooker (ours lets you saute in the pot. I assume Instant Pot does the same, but if not, then saute in a small skillet first).

Saute diced onions, salt and pepper liberally.
Add rice and saute (not sure the exact timing on this, I’d say until you start to smell the rice, essentially the same as pre-browning spices)
Add in all remaining ingredients and stir well.
Put the lid on and set for 20 minutes on high. Then vent and open. I’m looking and see that most pressure cooker recipes are for 3-4 minutes with a gradual steam release, so YMMV. I recall setting it for a longer time than that, and we were gone for a bit over an hour. When I opened it up it was maybe a little bit overdone, but it was awesome.

1 Like

Might I recommend chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (you can find them on amazon) as an alternative to sriracha.

2 Likes

Ahh…its always the cilantro! I can almost guarantee that it will be every bit as delicious without it!

I’m with you Dan. Cilantro taste like soap to me… :expressionless:

1 Like

If you ask me, it will be more delicious. :wink:

I’m excited to try it!

1 Like

If you try it, let me know how it goes! I recommend buttermilk biscuits as an accompaniment! Let me know if you need a recipe!

2 Likes

My wife’s the baker - if I touch flour, bad things happen.

4 Likes

Perhaps this will help! http://www.theculinaryexchange.com/blog/how-to-cut-butter-into-flour/#.Wfd1LjOZOjg. Or maybe its best to avoid flour…I am sure your wife can handle the biscuits!

Well it’s mostly because pressure cookers have become far far safer than they were originally.

I still remember my mom’s original pressure cooker which consisted solely of a pot, a lid without unlock protection, and a weighted pressure valve that you put onto stove elements capable of melting steel. It had no inner shield on the lid, so if you had bubbling food that managed to block the valve from the inside you had a potential bomb on your hands.

Now they’ve moved the heating element inside the container with heat regulation, pressure controllers, lid shields to protect the valve from splatter blocking the valve, lid locks that won’t let you release the lid under high pressure… it’s pretty hard to mess them up now.

2 Likes

I have been surprised by the number of people that simply don’t know what a pressure cooker even is. There have been many times that I’ve mentioned pressure cooking and people don’t know what it is. Growing up with a pressure cooker, I just kind of assumed everyone had one.

1 Like

Sounds delicious !! What seasoning do you use? :rofl:

3 Likes

I use battery acid, water and follow up with a dye bath. And clean it up with a degreaser and lye beforehand.

3 Likes

I have bought so many pressure cookers and never used them. Does this Insta-Pot plug in? Or is it a stove-top thing. (Can’t use that kind of pressure cooker on an induction cooktop.)

This thread is making me hungry. Definitely the degreaser and lye sauce. :smile:

2 Likes

Instant Pot is proudly Canadian and there’s an Office 30 min from my house!
I’m so hungry right now…

5 Likes

The Instant Pot is a countertop plug-in pressure cooker. It also has a sauté function so you can make some good one-pot meals.

3 Likes