Instant Pot

Continuing the discussion from #FakeTrumpkin:

I love my Instant Pot! Here’s a favorite recipe:

Instant Pot Instant Hummus

4 cups good dried garbanzos (I use these)
8 cups water
8 cloves garlic
Cook 55 minutes, then add
1/4 cup of toasted sesame oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 tbsp salt
More Sriracha than you think is wise (1/2 cup+)
Stick blender until smooth

It’s outrageously good.

35 Likes

This made me laugh. Glad you’re continuing that part of the discussion and not the earlier part. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also, I love hummus.

1/4 of what? A cup of sesame oil?

Oops - 1/4 cup of toasted sesame oil. Updated. You can use much less.

Tahini’s more authentic, but it takes more to get the same flavor, and I always keep toasted sesame oil around anyway.

3 Likes

You don’t happen to have the pressure and temperature you cooked this for 55 minutes at, do you?

1 Like

I think 55 is way overkill, but overcooking doesn’t hurt this particular dish… it was Instant Pot’s “high” mode. It’s not unit-denominated.

6 Likes

Yeah, this is one of the biggest drawbacks to Instant Pot and ones like my Tayama… it has all the fancy modes, but obfuscates the settings. I’m going to assume “Beans” mode. Thanks!

2 Likes

If you cook it enough to cook beans, you should be good to go. Just make sure you’re cooking for mush, not for firm, and remember that different beans cook different amounts.

3 Likes

If anyone is on the fence, “Amazon Warehouse Deals” has a sale on used(?) Instant Pots right now - 20% off. I got a 6 qt. model in “good” condition for less than $50. The “good” ones are sold out now though, I believe, but “very good” and “like new” are still available. I plan to use mine for sealing home-anodized aluminum parts, so as long as it gets hot I’m good.

4 Likes

Here is my chili recipe, which I modified yesterday for the instant pot.

Ingredients

• 1lb ground beef
  • 1lb Italian sausage without casing (I prefer hot, but sweet should work)
  • 1 onion
  • 3-6 cloves of garlic (depending on your taste)
  • 2 bell peppers (I like to use yellow and orange, mostly because they visual stand out in the dish)
  • 1+ hot pepper of your choice (I went with canned chipotle peppers this time. I used 3 of them.)
  • 2 cans of diced tomatoes (I like the fire roasted ones)
  • 2 cans of beans (I went with red and black beans this time. I’ve used pinto and kidney beans in the past. Whatever you are in the mood for.)
  • Spice mixture (I make this by smell, so I don’t have exact quantities. It contains chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, smoked paprika, oregano, cayenne, and whatever else you think will be good. I threw in some Cajun spice mix that I made awhile back.)
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon of dutch cocoa powder (or a few dark chocolate morsels)
  • 1 bottle of beer
  • 1/2 tea spoon of baking soda
  • Oil
  • Salt

Directions:

1. Mix baking soda with 1 tablespoon of water until it’s dissolved. Combine baking soda mixture and ground beef. This prevents the beef from releasing too much water and allows it to brown better. Set aside for 20 mins.
  2. While waiting on the beef make your spice mixture and dice your onion and garlic.
  3. Once beef is ready, mix in a few teaspoons of the spice mixture to the ground beef.
  4. Set Instant Pot to Saute, medium.
  5. Add a table spoon of oil.
  6. Brown Italian sausage. If needed, do this in 2 batches. Remove and set aside.
  7. Brown Ground beef. If needed, do this in 2 batches. If too much liquid gets released, drain it and set the liquid aside. Remove and set aside.
  8. Add onions, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Saute until translucent.
  9. Turn off Saute mode.
  10. Return the meat to the Instant Pot.
  11. Add brown sugar, cocoa powder,1/2 the spice mixture, and beer. Mix well. Make sure to scrape the bottom to get any of the delicious bits that are stuck to it off.
  12. Add diced tomatoes to the top, DO NOT MIX! Apparently they can stick to the bottom and prevent the Instant Pot from reaching pressure (or at least that’s what the internet said).
  13. Pressure Cook at high pressure for 12 minutes. When done, allow to vent naturally. I placed a wet towel on the metal part of the lid to help this along.
  14. While cooking, cut up the peppers and drain the beans.
  15. When the pressure has been released, set the Instant Pot to Slow Cooker high for 1 hour. Add the peppers and beans and remaining spice mixture. Mix and cover.
  16. After 20 mins or so, do a taste test and adjust accordingly. Let it finish the hour.

Enjoy!

12 Likes

We use our Instant Pot a lot. We have one recipe up at http://www.houseofleafandgear.com/articles/instant-pot-spaghetti-squash-with-roasted-garlic-mushroom-cream-sauce/ That is pretty tasty. (Spaghetti squash with a very tasty sauce.).

Another one we just tried out is a teriyaki turkey meatballs one someone mentioned on twitter: https://mommyshomecooking.com/instant-pot-teriyaki-turkey-meatballs/

3 Likes

You were doing really good up until the point of putting beans in your chili.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Brilliant. We use our Instant Pot almost every day. Here’s our favorite recipe:

Instant Pot Kalua Pig, from modified from nomnompaleo.com
Ingredients

• 3 bacon slices
  • 5 pound bone-in pork shoulder roast (note modification of salt if a different size)
  • 5-8 peeled garlic cloves
  • About 1½ tablespoons medium-coarse salt. Alderwood smoked salt or Alaea Red Hawaiian Coarse Sea Salt are great, but plain Kosher salt works fine too. More precisely, use ¾ teaspoon of medium-coarse salt for every 1 pound of meat or half that amount if using fine (same grind as table salt)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cabbage, cored, and cut into 6 wedges

Instructions
Drape bacon on the bottom of your Instant Pot. Press the “Sauté “button and in about a minute, your bacon will start sizzling.
Cut the pork roast into three approximately equal pieces.

With a sharp knife, stab slits into each piece of pork, and tuck in the garlic slices.

Place the salted pork on top of the bacon, keeping the meat in a single layer.

(Please note: as you’re prepping the pork, you’ll hear the bacon sputtering in the pressure cooker. Don’t forget to flip the slices, and turn off the heat when the bacon is browned on both sides.)

Pour in the water.

Check your manual to see what the minimum amount of liquid is for your particular model, and adjust accordingly. I use 1 cup.

Cover and lock the lid, on the pressure setting, and set to 90 minutes on Manual.

If you’re using a stove-top pressure cooker, you won’t have to worry about pressing all those fancy buttons. Just cook on high heat until high pressure is reached. Then, reduce the heat to low to maintain high pressure for about 75 minutes.

After cooking, let the pressure come down naturally.

Once the cooker is depressurized, check that the pork is fork-tender. If the meat’s not yet fall-apart tender, you can always cook the pork under pressure for another 5-10 minutes to get the right texture.

Transfer the cooked pork to a large bowl, and taste the cooking liquid remaining in the pot. Adjust the seasoning with water or salt if needed.

Chop the cabbage head into six wedges, and add them to the cooking liquid.

Replace the lid and cook the cabbage under high pressure for 3-5 minutes. When the cabbage is done cooking, activate the quick release valve to release the pressure.

While the cabbage is cooking, shred the pork. Once the cabbage is cooked, pile it on your shredded pork.

9 Likes

A whole lot of like-minded people in this group. Lasers, 3D-printers, vinyl cutters, cooking, etc…

I was just looking for a recipe for Sunday dinner pot roast for my instant pot. Speaking of cooking, I spied another forger on twitter… @pdobrien

4 Likes

Alton Brown retweeted me… my life is complete.

17 Likes

That’s how I found you! You are internet famous now.

4 Likes

Have you tried that with soy sauce instead of salt?

i’m a big fan of my electric pressure cooker (tho not a hot pot).

i’ll drop a couple of my favorite recipes. first a quick and easy one, and the one we seem to make the most. risotto.

the link (for those who use recipe apps like me (I use Paprika))

Pressure Cooker Risotto with Goat Cheese recipe – pressure cooking’s secret weapon is perfect risotto without constant stirring.

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, finely minced
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups short grain rice (Arborio or Carnaroli are traditional)
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken stock (preferably homemade)
1 teaspoon kosher salt (if using homemade stock)
2 oz (1/2 cup) crumbled goat cheese

INSTRUCTIONS

Saute the aromatics: Heat the olive oil and butter in the pressure cooker pot over medium-high heat until the butter melts. Add the onion, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and saute until the onion is softened, about five minutes.
Saute the rice: Stir the rice into the onions, stirring until it is coated with the oil and butter. Cook the rice, stirring occasionally, until it turns a nutty brown color, about four minutes. Add the white wine, stir, and cook until the wine is absorbed by the rice.
Cook the risotto: Stir in the chicken stock and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Lock the lid on the pressure cooker, bring it up to high pressure, and pressure cook for 6 minutes (8 minutes in an electric pressure cooker). Quick release the pressure when the time is up. Carefully remove the lid, tilting it away from you to avoid the scalding hot steam.
Stir in cheese: Stir the cheese into the rice until it melts, then serve.

4 Likes

quick and easy meal. i’ve used pork loins more of then than turkey (which is harder for me to find without a marinade already in it)

PRESSURE COOKER TURKEY VERDE & RICE

Pressure Cooker Turkey Verde & Rice is an easy 40 minute recipe made in your Instant Pot with only five ingredients! This healthy dinner idea is packed with bold flavor from salsa verde and full of wholesome brown rice and tender turkey tenderloins for a quick and delicious meal you will love.

Author: Danielle Green
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 5

INGREDIENTS
⅔ c. chicken broth
1¼ c. long grain brown rice
1 small yellow onion, sliced
1½ lb. Jennie-O turkey tenderloins
½ c. salsa Verde
½ tsp. salt

INSTRUCTIONS
Add the chicken broth and rice to the Instant Pot. Top with the sliced onions, turkey and salsa verde. Sprinkle with salt and close the lid.
Close the vent to “pressure cooker” mode and set on high for 18 minutes.
When the timer beeps, and the cooking is complete, do NOT open the lid. Let the pot sit for 8 additional minutes. After 8 minutes turn off the Instant Pot, open the lid and the turkey and rice is ready to serve.
Optional - garnish with fresh cilantro.

3 Likes