I think someone mentioned this happening recently, but can’t find the post…at that time I remembered a couple of instances where I was sure I had set the material correctly but it had changed in the interface at some point during the job, but between ADHD and advancing age I have a tendency to blame myself rather than assume there’s a bug.
Last night I was cutting some earrings that are etched on both sides. On one of the sets I cut out, I was using a scrap of PG Walnut ply that contained the barcode, and it got sliced up during the first step of the cut. After I opened the GF to flip the pieces, I went back to the GFUI to mark the cuts to “ignore” and do the engraving on the other side, and noticed things looked really weird in the camera. Glanced up at the top of the screen and saw it had changed the material to PG leather. Not “unidentified,” not the last known material, but a completely random selection.
This time I know it wasn’t my fault; I was paying attention and had specifically noted that it correctly sensed the barcode for the first step of the job. It was the third type of PG plywood scraps I had cut the same set of parts from, all in a row (PG maple, then cherry, then walnut), and I had followed the same steps each time. The maple and cherry scraps didn’t have barcodes, so I had tossed in the appropriate barcode cutouts from my stash to identify them for the camera, but the walnut still had one when I put it in. It was when that got cut that things went south.
I get that cutting up the barcode means the GF can’t reidentify the material after you’ve opened the lid, but randomly selecting some other material besides the last one used doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. It should either default to the last detected, or to “unknown.” I can kinda make a case for either of those, but definitely not just some random selection. And a popup notification that the material can’t be identified would be polite and very helpful, too!